IR newb... need basics or FAQ

kanipso

Hey guys. Hope your holidays were nice.

This is what I'm doing. I am building a dedicated theatre room. I have a wall rack and wiring closet. (sought after rear access) I am using the B&K AVR507 which ships with a brand labeled MX500 remote.. (IR version) I have a Xantech repeater and four emmitters. PLus the B&K reciever also has emmiter pass through. So I can have roughly 8 'hidden' devices in the wiring closet..

Of those devices is an Ocelot to control the lighting. I am wondering where do I get the codes to transmit from my remote to the ocelot for on/off and most importantly absolute dimming..

Also I have a video switcher that I cannot find codes for.. I have tried learning from the remote with no luck.. Different freq?

Do you guys know if there is a IR for dummies FAQ anywhere??

The best place to learn about IR and find codes for discrete on/off commands and such is at www.remotecentral.com. Go to the "Files" section and start learning. You will quickly discover that the Pronto format is the most common way that codes are exchanged and generated.

As an Ocelot user, you will then want to learn how IR codes are learned and stored (and edited) by the Ocelot. ADI has a IR code editor for this:

http://www.appdig.com/IR_Editor_1.0/IR_Max.exe

and be sure to get the documentation too:

http://www.appdig.com/IR_Editor_1.0/IR_Max_Manual.doc

The documentation also has a short tutorial on how Pronto and LIR code formats are encoded, useful for editing.

It's a Viewsonic VGA/Composite switcher.
Next Vision N4 Video Processor.

It alows me to switch between my HTPC and the recievers OSD. The OSD is typically not displayed over component.

Well as a tip that might work. I also have a MX-500 remote and it has trouble learning from one of my remotes. I found that having my Cinema 7 remote learn the command, then using the Cinema 7 to teach the MX-500 I was able to get the MX-500 to play the IR command correctly. It looked like the Cinema 7 had a higher tolerence for the problem code. Maybe it would for you.

John

I have heard of that learning method before, definitely worth a shot. You could also try this with the Ocelot if you have no other learning remote.

I haven't played with any of the IR funcionality of the Ocelot yet. Only regular logic stuff. I am going to try some basic stuff tonight.

Ok, not so nub now.. I ran into a problem trying to use a 1/8 mono cable to connect the output of my Xantec 789-44 repeater block. I assumed I could connect directly to the ocelot IR 'in' port from the ir 'hub.' When I make this connection the Ocelot wont boot. No lights nothing..

What is the recomended way to use the IR in port? The .man says the Xantech hardware is ok. It does warn against using blaster type emitters.

You can easily blow an Ocelot by connecting things to the IR-in jack if you don't know what you're doing. Its internal ground and +5v supply go right to that stereo mini-jack...

Not an expert on this, but I thought there was some kind of voltage compatability problem with the Xantech and Ocelot (12v vs. 5v??). Guy Lavoie could probably chime in with some better info.

EDIT: Hehe, he was replying while I was typing! Man, I told you he would chime in!

Guy Lavoie said:
You can easily blow an Ocelot by connecting things to the IR-in jack if you don't know what you're doing. Its internal ground and +5v supply go right to that stereo mini-jack...
Yea, I believe I read something that said make sure the Ocelot was powered down while placing or removing that jack from the connector.

Yeah, I read that before trying. (lucky). I didn't hot plug it. And quickly removed power after realizing something was up. Either way how is it done?? It can't be that hard.

Directly connecting IR in of a device from mfg A to IR-out of a device from mfg B is not a wise thing to do unless you know before hand it is okay (both mfg agree, or some foolhardy soul has done it, or better yet 10 such foolhardy did.)

I suggest very strongly you build an optical coupler by encasing in a small blackbox (like from Radio Shack) an emitter from mfg A (the IR sender) and an IR receiver from mfg B the IR destination. Make the thing light tight and just bury it somewhere.

The optical isolation solves many other issues of ground noise, electrical isolation, surge protection ....

Back