Is a Z-wave companion switch required for 3-way applications?

kklarson

1. Is a Z-wave companion switch required for installing 3-way lighting circuits with a standard Z-wave dimmer switch? I had assumed this was true, but installation instructions for the Intermatic HomeSettings HA14C and equivalent WayneDalton HA14WD at least imply that any standard 3-way switch can be used. In fact, the diagrams show that a regular single-pole switch can be used when only two switches are involved.
2. If not, is there an advantage to using a Z-wave companion switch?
3. Must the same brand be used together? The VP0SR-10X - Companion Relay Switch has a very good price at $6.38.

I'm not allowed to post links which would make this easier to follow. Thanks very much.

To answer you question regarding the Leviton 3-way, that will only work with Leviton switches (non-dimmers). For 3-way, you have two options, hardwired or virtual.

Hardwired 3-ways are for when you already have existing 3-way wiring in place and is more cost effective. You do however have to keep brands the same, Leviton with Leviton, ACT with ACT etc. For the Intermatic/Wayne Dalton HA14, they did not produce one but instead made it work with standard 3-way or single pole switches.

Virtual 3-ways are for when you do not have existing 3-way wiring or when you want to monitor the 3-way device as well and is more expensive.

Thanks very much for the explanation. So for new construction, if my electrician wires 3-way circuits in the usual manner, will I be able to substitute any brand of Z-wave switches in the future or do I need to use a specific wiring method?

using the "virtual" 3 way method later will require having a neutral in the box. This is not always common practice when installing standard 3-wire switches

If you're wiring now and choosing a switch, consider a few things:

1) The HA14 is designed to work with a standard 3-way switch (as you've already determined). However, you'll only have on/off control at that location; no dimming.
2) HA14's should be available for some time but have actually been out of production for over a year... factor that into your plan if ongoing support/replacements/additions are important.
3) Ideally, companion switches should look and work just like the load carrying switch. Cooper, Leviton, ACT and GE/Jasco all have pairings that work like this.

If you have specific questions, feel free to call me directly.

Mark

Back