Is there any chance of a slimserver-like video solution

shenandoah75

Well i'm spending tonight trying to get CQC beta up and running with media tag / slimserver, but once i get it done, it's gonna be a killer combo! And i can finally demo something in cqc to the mrs and maybe make some decisions...

Perfect timing too as I was about to run 2 sets of 14/4 wire to my outbuilding (100') until i tried out softsueeze standalone. This is just awesome. I can just use my computer speakers/sub (pretty good antec landsings) in the office. Then i just need a solution (dust friendly) for the shop, maybe i'll ping John for that Fujistsu again if a slow pentium can run softweeze's java app...

Anyway- i digress...

The point of this thread, i would like to choose/prepare for my video solution down the road and be somewhat future proof. Getting wires from my closet/rack to the master bedroom / family is not impossible but would be a royal pain. I had been planning on HDMI runs, switched from two denon receivers. But if i can put my dvd players in the closet rack and send data over the network to a local pc serving as intermediary, that would be far more ideal. I suspect my problem will be that the latest hdmi stuff (bluray/hddvd) will not allow conversion/streaming to anything like this though? I had also considered using dhmi over copper converters, but i would need one UTP and one shielded to do so - again wiring a tow story house is not fun!!!

Sage tv looks cool, but details are sketchy on exactly what formats it supports on the website (worries bluray/hddvd would be out?

thx in advance
-brad

do you mean rip/playback HD-DVD via something like theatertek, or distribute HD-DVD discs?

I didn't think either was possible yet, as I didn't think any automatable DVD players (ie theatertek) could do HD-DVD, and HD-DVD megachangers don't yet exist.

Also, i'm blanking right now, but does HDMI buy you anything other than 1080p? IE, can't you still push 720/1080i over component or the network/local PC? I know it preserves HDCP, but I recall reading somewhere that they would only put that "on" to transmit the 1080p stuff...

at this point i mean anything (ripping or direct disk distribution). I don't even own an upscaling standard DVD nor an HDTV yet, so this purely down the road speculation. I just don't want to invest in my closet/rack and realize i'm going to ave to put a receiver in each room anyway.

In terms of what it buys, ya 1080p is one... plus the potential for less cabling compared to component... but i'm more worried about future proofing. I've read alot here and in avs forums that component video is "dead". I'm sure those running it would object to those claims, but i don't want to invest purely in obsolete technology.

-brad

on the HTPC forum or the HA one?

Most of the pro's on the AVS-HA forum laugh wildly at the "component is dead" argument as there's such a staggeringly huge install base, no way will it be obsolete in less than 7-10 years. Hell, we're still using 1RG6, there's poor fools out there that ran a bundled 2RG6/2CAT5e to locations just a few months ago on the recommendation of their builder.

Sure, you won't get 1080p, but damn even 720/1080i looks staggering.

Assuming it's just as hard to run cable now as it will be later, my vote is to drag your feet for months, if not years, and suck up whatever a local client PC (or HDExtender someday soon) rendering over CAT5 gets you. It'll still look great, and given that we're still a long time from HD-DVD distribution in a megachanger, you'll be able to rip the 20GB/disc via AnyDVD-HD, and throw that over your gigabit network for a 720p/1080i output.

I've read alot here and in avs forums that component video is "dead". I'm sure those running it would object to those claims, but i don't want to invest purely in obsolete technology.

While it may not be the "hottest" way to run your HD video, it certainly is not dead. If I go out right now and purchase a $3,000 A/V receiver, it still has S Video inputs, and S Video was never as popular or widly accepted as Component. You can run HDMI over multiple Cat5e cables right now, or you can use the Cat5e for Component, DVI, or even digital audio. You simply use converters on either end.

Due to that, I would suggest running multiple Cat5e cables to wherever you want HD video. Due to its expansive use, there should be plenty of support for it in the future. You could also run multiple RG59/6 cables to each location, but IMHO, this is not cost effective, nor will it be as widely supported in the future as Cat5e/6 is.

Component might be dead for the set top HD-DVD player hooked up to a TV right next to it. It is still the most widely used method to distribute HD signals to other locations however, and isn't going away yet. I've read numerous times that installers won't even use HMDI because it tends to be too finicky in real world distribution.

Brad - I've been looking into this for the last couple months as well... and my options boiled down to:
- Sage - wired with Cat5, and uses extenders to pull data off the main server. A HD extender is supposedly imminent (currently limited to S-Video)
- Microsoft Media Center with XBox extenders. Similar to the Sage solution, and I'd rather give someone beside MS my money
- RapidRun - a wiring solution that allows you to change the connections at the ends as your needs change. Some length limitations, pretty costly
- Component via RG6
- Baluns via Cat5

I'm strongly leaning towards Sage... working on spec'ing a server right now...

Slingbox is another variation. It takes multiple video sources including HD via component video and delivers to clients on the LAN/WAN. Compression is adjustable to account for LAN/WAN bandwidth.

yeah, still can't distribute anything other than 720p or 1080i though.

Cheap POS :p

Brad - I've been looking into this for the last couple months as well... and my options boiled down to:
- Sage - wired with Cat5, and uses extenders to pull data off the main server. A HD extender is supposedly imminent (currently limited to S-Video)
- Microsoft Media Center with XBox extenders. Similar to the Sage solution, and I'd rather give someone beside MS my money
- RapidRun - a wiring solution that allows you to change the connections at the ends as your needs change. Some length limitations, pretty costly
- Component via RG6
- Baluns via Cat5

I'm strongly leaning towards Sage... working on spec'ing a server right now...

I have quite a bit of Sage experience, if there is something you want to know just ask.

Here are the major variables.

1. # of clients to service.
2. Video sources available and qualities desired.

MVPs run nicely however they only support MPEG2, if you encode to Divx, Xvid, H.264 you will use your CPU transcoding that on the fly.

Remeber v6 allows you to switch inputs on encoders on the fly.

After that it's just a matter of best mixing the hardware required.

Slingbox is another variation.

Doesn't Slingbox only work with PCs? I can't buy several sling devices and plug them into my TVs, and display anything from any of my sources on any of those TVs, right?

I think that's the advantage of Sage... but the downside is that it's like another automation project... lots of tweaking and playing - not a plug and play solution. I'm busy trying to finish up several other projects so that I have some time to focus on this one!

Good to know Collin - I might be tapping into that knowledge soon :p

Slingbox is another variation.

Doesn't Slingbox only work with PCs? I can't buy several sling devices and plug them into my TVs, and display anything from any of my sources on any of those TVs, right?

I think Michael's quote may have been taken out of context but the Slingbox will only work (to my knowledge) on PC's and Smart mobile devices (PDA/SmartPhones).

Another disadvantage is only one person can view the Slingbox at a time.

Back