jetstream... relays vs dimmers

chrisdias

Hi -

Before I order all my switches, I wanted to make sure I'm clear on Relays vs Dimmers.

Do I need to use Relays in conjunction with a Dimmer in 2 or 3 way loads where the load can be dimmed? Or, is a Relay only needed for non-dimming loads?

scenario #1
- One switch controls one dimmable light
- I would install a Dimmer

scenario #2
- One switch controls a non-dimmable load (for example, a CFL or a bathroom fan)
- I would install a Relay

scenario #3
- Two switches control a dimmable (load of) lights
- Do I use one Dimmer plus one Relay, or can I use 2 Dimmers? I think I want two dimmers so I can dim from either location...
- Related, can I use a "standard" (non automated, non jetstream) switch in conjunction with a Dimmer in a 2 or 3 load connection?

Thanks,
Chris

Hope this helps:

- Single-Pole (1-switch) Dimmable load use Dimmer
- Single-Pole (1-switch) Non-Dimmable load use Relay
- N-Way (multi-switch) Dimmable load use Dimmers (cap load wire and turn of load in programming on multi-location devices)
- N-Way (multi-switch) Non-Dimmable load use Relays (cap load wire and turn of load in programming on multi-location devices)

Do not mix non-automated with automated.

Don't confuse a relay switch with a slave switch. Some technologies have an inexpensive 'dumb' switch used in multiway circuits that switch the main switch via the traveler wires. Jetstream you just use the regular switches in multiway, there are no slaves. And used the same type on all positions of the multiway. And it's like you said - dimmers are for normal dimmable loads, sometimes they can be used on non-dimmable loads when set to full on/non dim mode, but for locations you are sure will never dim, you should use a relay switch.

A dimmer uses a Triac bases circuit to do dimming and is incompatible with many types of loads like transformers. A relay is a simple on/off contact like a normal switch that has no dimming electronics and is the preferred way to switch especially high current non dimmable devices.

Don't confuse a relay switch with a slave switch. Some technologies have an inexpensive 'dumb' switch used in multiway circuits that switch the main switch via the traveler wires. Jetstream you just use the regular switches in multiway, there are no slaves. And used the same type on all positions of the multiway. And it's like you said - dimmers are for normal dimmable loads, sometimes they can be used on non-dimmable loads when set to full on/non dim mode, but for locations you are sure will never dim, you should use a relay switch.

A dimmer uses a Triac bases circuit to do dimming and is incompatible with many types of loads like transformers. A relay is a simple on/off contact like a normal switch that has no dimming electronics and is the preferred way to switch especially high current non dimmable devices.

Thanks guys, this is all very helpful and answers my concerns.

Chris

Back