Just purchased the ELK M1G

johnnynine

I finally bit the bullet and took advantage of the lastest sale at Smarthome to get an Elk M1Gold. I can't really set it up in the home for a couple months, but I can play with it on a workbench until then.

http://www.smarthome.com/12830ie.html

Any ideas on why the kit includes the USB plc? The above page indicates it's a 2414U, however from my understanding it needs to be the 2414S for the M1-XSP serial interface.

I don't need the can but I didn't see a kit without it. So I'll probably be selling that off.

So I guess I'm just welcoming myself to the M1 club... and you though I had lots of questions before. :)

Edit: added metal enclosure comment

Welcome to the dark side. Workbench playing is invaluable. I chickened out turning off my ADT today, opting to leave the Elk in beta for another 4 weeks before I rely on it. Assuming a 10/1 "go-live" date, that'll be 8 months between receipt & flip the switch. Of course, that's more to make wife comfortable turning over security to Elk, turning off ADT, and she'd like to see a checklist a mile long before approving launch that ADT wasn't held to, but that's cool too.

Hang out, go slow, have fun...

I came within 2 keystrokes of grabbing the same deal but then got sidetracked on a touch screen mounting question. Now I will have to wait till the next 25% off sale before I can talk myself into it again!

upstatemike said:
I came within 2 keystrokes of grabbing the same deal but then got sidetracked on a touch screen mounting question. Now I will have to wait till the next 25% off sale before I can talk myself into it again!
Hehe, yea, I notice you had 30 posts that day! :)

Also, weren't you going to get the Cortexa's from SH?

I guess I was pretty anxious to come up with some kind of touch screen strategy but I never did find a workable solution. Oh well...

I was also going to use my 25% off on the Insteaon+ELK special until I found out my county requires both a permit and a licensed installer for any security system install -- otherwise I will never get an alarm permit and I become subject to $1000 fine on any alarm (false or not). Looks like no ELK for me.

My county has gotten so desparate for cash that they even need permits and licensed installers for inground sprinkers from home depot and low voltage yard lights. (the permit bochure even says an electrician is required for any computer that is connected to a phone line -- they are just greedy now it is not about safety anymore.

Paul_PDX said:
...the permit bochure even says an electrician is required for any computer that is connected to a phone line -- they are just greedy now it is not about safety anymore.
So you can't even plug in your own PC?

Now that's funny... I ordered the M1 as well last night (using the 25% discount)...

My only concern is the install... I'm hoping to find someone in Dallas that will run the wires for me (my crawl space is only about 10'')... Has any one used the wireless devices to any great extent?

Paul_PDX said:
I was also going to use my 25% off on the Insteaon+ELK special until I found out my county requires both a permit and a licensed installer for any security system install -- otherwise I will never get an alarm permit and I become subject to $1000 fine on any alarm (false or not). Looks like no ELK for me.

My county has gotten so desparate for cash that they even need permits and licensed installers for inground sprinkers from home depot and low voltage yard lights. (the permit bochure even says an electrician is required for any computer that is connected to a phone line -- they are just greedy now it is not about safety anymore.
Sounds like a few well placed letters to politicians from you and your neighbors are in order. Right around election time would be ideal.

That just sounds crazy.

For the ELK-M1 to control your Insteon devices you'll need the 2414S (serial) to connect to the ELK-M1XSP.

Johnnynine,

I just re-read your question... I completely agree... What now? Have you called Smarthome?

Update... Just taked to Smarthome and they've confirmed that the Serial unit is the one that's included and said they would update their site..

Back