Keypad location

Mike

Senior Member
I had gotten another KP2 keypad that I planned to put near the door going to the garage, when I realized something: Given the window placement, it was possible to view the keypad from outside in some cases.

Are there any cheats for a situation like this, or is it something that is just best avoided?
 

rfdesq

Senior Member
Are you concerned about a bad guy viewing you entering your code or seeing the armed status of the M1?
 

Spanky

Senior Member
You can set the keypad for 60 second display turn off. This was to prevent the bad guy from viewing the keypad from outside. Press a button and the keypad lights back up.
 

Mike

Senior Member
rfdesq said:
Are you concerned about a bad guy viewing you entering your code or seeing the armed status of the M1?
I was not worried about the code, but the armed status. Sounds like Spanky's comment is exactly what I was looking at.

In regards to seeing the code, I'm still thinking through prox cards/fobs (probably the latter). I hear Electron's comment on the caddx, but think having to do something at the keypad is probably a better habit builder.
 

Steve

Senior Member
Mike said:
rfdesq said:
Are you concerned about a bad guy viewing you entering your code or seeing the armed status of the M1?
I was not worried about the code, but the armed status. Sounds like Spanky's comment is exactly what I was looking at.

In regards to seeing the code, I'm still thinking through prox cards/fobs (probably the latter). I hear Electron's comment on the caddx, but think having to do something at the keypad is probably a better habit builder.
I guess this is all a matter of opinion. I kind of like the idea of someone looking in the window and seeing a bright red LED indicating the alarm is armed. I see it as a deterrent, just like yard signs, etc except the LED is obviously not fake.
 

Digger

Senior Member
I guess this is all a matter of opinion. I kind of like the idea of someone looking in the window and seeing a bright red LED indicating the alarm is armed. I see it as a deterrent, just like yard signs, etc except the LED is obviously not fake.

Its only a deterrent if you remember to arm your system. If the burglar sees your system as disarmed you have a big problem.
 

rfdesq

Senior Member
Digger said:
Its only a deterrent if you remember to arm your system. If the burglar sees your system as disarmed you have a big problem.
I don't particularly like then to know the armed status, i.e. away or stay.
 
Top