Kill A Watt Power Meter for $20

They are DEFINITLY worth the $20 and they are pretty darn accurate. I need to actually put mine to some use (electric rates are out of control on Long Island).

A little off topic but does anyone here have solar power at home?

I have 2 meters, both read 59.9 Hz, North central KS. I wish I had solar power as currently we are getting 6 AM to 9PM direct (and very hot) sunshine.

got mine today as well, and it reads 59.9, eventho my UPS reads 60, now who 's lying? :) Thanks for posting this deal!

Digger said:
They are DEFINITLY worth the $20 and they are pretty darn accurate. I need to actually put mine to some use (electric rates are out of control on Long Island).

A little off topic but does anyone here have solar power at home?
Agreed Digger. I happened to use mine to check the refridge I had down in the basement, it was running at 3 times what a new one would take...

I'm reviewing low-end refridgerator prices currently in search of the almost $200 a year electrical savings.

Mike,

That will be a HUGE savings over time. I think that Home Depot and PC Richards etc have some low end refrgirators for about $350 so in two years you are even and then after that you are saving a lot.

I actually bought the meter to measure the frig in my garage and have yet to do it. Sounds like a project for tomorrow.

I am also buying laptops instead of desk tops from now on except for the future Home Theater computer but that is not in my budget any time soon.

Have you thought of going solar? There are some great rebates here on Long Island. I know someone in the business if you are interested.

I have thought about solar. Don't think the wife is crazy about it but I also have an extension where you cannot see the top of the roof that I thought it might be a decent size array and not visible to solve that issue.

I wanted to go back and look at roofing considerations as while it is not needed now, doesn't that essentially replace the roof in some cases? (might be another 'justification')

Lots of projects and that one seemed to take a decent investment ($20K if I remember some rough checks I was doing before, but perhaps I was overly ambitious). I did see some of the credits that are offered , but there seemed to be lots of other (personal) projects competing for that 'funding'. I suppose the recent one of central air is going in the wrong direction.... I don't remember if I did the ROI on it either.

Have you looked at it? I just did some brief searching on the internet, nothing serious. Was I off base at all? I was also looking at hurricane gear (standby generators (although I have a nice spot picked out next to the central air unit) or portables, and various other larger projects around the house). Too many areas to spend money that are not HA in my opinion...

On the fridge, I'll have to check Home Depot, I had not looked there. Sears was $400-$500 I think. I really just want the cheapest they make that fits in the basement... I think the kill-a-watt gave me readings that made me think it costs $280 a year. It is an old one...

Thank god one does not need stainless steel and the other fixings for spare refridgerators... :D

Mike,

Ask for a scratch and dent unit if its going to be unseen by anyone but yourselves. You might get a good deal.

I need to put a covered deck on the back of my house. That is where I will put the solar so its unseen from the street. I think the 20K is about right for a decent size system. For a little more you can add battery backup. I think I will go that way instaed of a whole house backup generator since the battery will be completely silent. I will keep my small generator for recharging the batteries shold my solar cells be damaged in a storm. Hopefully they will be ok if they are installed correctly.

That is a great point I had neglected to think of, solar lets you generate your own power, so it can replace some/all function of the standby generator. And it is the gift that keeps on giving...

I hadn't seen the battery backup option. If you have any links on info, I'd like to take a look.

I'll have to give it some thought, but I will definitely get in touch for the contact you referenced if I take it further.

I already own the kill-a-watt meter but for any Canadian subscribers I just found a similar item at

www.canadiantire.ca

type in search for "energy meter"

To see the unit go to www.upm-marketing.com and look under "our products" and then "energy meters".

This should come up as EM-100 energy meter with some specs.

If you use the promotion code freedelcan you get get free shipping on this meter. ( Don't know if they ship to USA ?)

Doesn't look too bad for $17.49 plus taxes ?

Neil

Mike,

The guy I know owns this company http://www.sunrise-energy.com. I used to work with him at UL before all of the layoffs. I only know a few people that used him and they are happy with the systems.

His website has some good information but the mfg websites have better. LIPA has some ino also.

It cant hurt to call him and have him give you an estimate.

Back