LED Christmas Lights and X-10

Jrock

Anyone have any advice on making X-10 modules work properly with LED Christmas lights? When the module is off the LEDs still glow dimly. I have followed the instructions to modify a lamp module to remove the constant power but that didn't work. I have also tried plugging a night light into the module to absorb the extra power, but that does not work either. If I have a more powerful light (like a flood light) plugged in with the LEDs they turn off.

Anyone have any advice on making X-10 modules work properly with LED Christmas lights? When the module is off the LEDs still glow dimly. I have followed the instructions to modify a lamp module to remove the constant power but that didn't work. I have also tried plugging a night light into the module to absorb the extra power, but that does not work either. If I have a more powerful light (like a flood light) plugged in with the LEDs they turn off.

Its the local control current that makes them light. Check on the Internet, there are ways to shut that off if you don't mind a soldering iron.

I had a similar problem with bulbs that are made to "flicker" like a candle. What worked for me was to place 2 appliance modules in sequence and sending multiple commands to turn ON and OFF. It seemed that having 2 modules in line did the trick. They stopped glowing dimly.

Simple way is to add a single 4 watt incandescent night light to the outlet on the Appliance or Lamp Module. Maybe using a power tap so both can be connected together.

Thanks for your replies...

ano: I think that might have been the mod I did. It was years ago so I don't remember. I will check it out though.

JeffCharger: I have never tried doubling up the modules. I will give it a try.

BLH: I tried the night light trick. Unfortunately it didn't work for me.

PaulB: I was wondering the same thing. This setup is at my parents house. We have 12 X-10 outlets on dedicated breakers outside plus a number of X-10 lamp and appliance modules inside for the Christmas lights so it would be rather expensive to switch to a different technology. I have UPB at my house though and will test it and let you know.

Hello Jrock,

From what I remember (really dangerous when I work from memory), X10 revised their designs a couple of years ago. The old trick of cutting the diode may not work on newer modules. Apparently, someone has worked out the procedure for the "newer" units.

The Ido Bartana site has both mods posted: Ido Bartana Home Automation

The latest Soft Start versions don't match any of the mods I have seen.
The controller chip a Sonix SN8P2501BSB; is surface mounted on the solder side of the PCB and is a complete redesign. The power supply is now a poorly regulated five volts.

The jumper shown in some mods didn't turn off the Local Control Current Sensor. It just stopped it from triggering the module on.

BLH,

Thank you for the correction. This is exactly why I post disclaimers when I cite from "memory" - it ain't worth beans.

How bright are they glowing when supposedly off? I ask because I have some LED bulbs that, even when fully switched off with a mechanical switch, still glow noticeably.

Hello Jrock,

From what I remember (really dangerous when I work from memory), X10 revised their designs a couple of years ago. The old trick of cutting the diode may not work on newer modules. Apparently, someone has worked out the procedure for the "newer" units.

The Ido Bartana site has both mods posted: Ido Bartana Home Automation

Thanks for the link! Hopefully one of the mods will work.

How bright are they glowing when supposedly off? I ask because I have some LED bulbs that, even when fully switched off with a mechanical switch, still glow noticeably.

Here is a picture of LED Christmas lights plugged into an X-10 appliance module which is currently "off".
LEDs_off.jpg

Here they are again "on"
LEDs_on.jpg

If I remember correctly the LED lights in question which are at my parents house were not this bright when "off". They are multi colored and a different brand (not sure if that has anything to do with it).

edit:
I tested the lights with an SA UPB appliance module and they were completely off when the module was off.

I am surprised the night light didn't correct it, but it is possible they can be light with very small amounts of current.
I take it these are not the new soft start version lamp modules or CFL friendly appliance modules.
Both of those versions have about 1/4 the sensing current the older ones have.

Back