Leopard / PC Connection

GadgetBoy

I recently moved my PC to a basement "server room". Unfortunately, it is now 40-50 feet away from my in-wall Leopard. Should I buy a realllly long serial cable, or does anyone have any suggestions? The Leopard is obviously working, but I do not have any connection between Homeseer and it.

Thanks,

Jim

40-50 feet isn't too long for a serial cable, especially if you are only using 9600 or 19,200 baud.

I am using Cat5e cable via a serial DB-9 to RJ-45 adapter with my Ocelot and Caddx system (9600 baud) at that distance with no problem.

This may sound dumb, but this would have to be a direct connection between the Leopard and the PC, as opposed to through a network hub, correct?

Thanks.

Correct, you are just using the Cat 5 cable as a piece of wire, not as an ethernet connection.

I actually switched to a phone wire for my serial connections because they are thinner and easier to route.

electron said:
I actually switched to a phone wire for my serial connections because they are thinner and easier to route.
Electron;

Are you using twisted pairs (Cat3) or just four conductor mini-zip?

PaulH

it's marked as phone wire, so I guess it's cat3, eventho I think regular 4 conductor wiring would also work (maybe not the same distance tho).

For an unbalanced signal like RS232, twisted pair shouldn't provide much benefit. It primarily works with balanced signals like RS485 or ethernet.

smee said:
For an unbalanced signal like RS232, twisted pair shouldn't provide much benefit. It primarily works with balanced signals like RS485 or ethernet.
Yes, excellent point smee. I hope nobody thought I meant you "have" to use "Cat5e" for this serial connection, and that's why I used those DB-9 to RJ-45 adapters.

The only reason I used Cat5e for my serial connections is because it was already run (with the house) between my den (where my PC's are located) and my wiring closet (where my Ocelot and Caddx systems are installed). Thus this was a natural choice.

Ordered them from DeepSurplus this morning. Hopefully they will arrive by the weekend for my next project!

Thanks!

Back