Light dimmer failures

JimS

Not an automation question but I thought I might get some good input on the issue here - it should apply to automated dimmers too.  I am having a dimmer go out more frequently than expected.  It lasts a few years and then shorts out.  I know that the typical failure mode for a triac is shorted and also think it has to do with high current at bulb burnout (which is a fairly well known issue).  It just occured to me that it may be worse in this case because the bulbs are base down - the failed filament could fall into the base where the wires are close together.  If the bulb was mounted base up the filament would be more likely to fall away from the other conductors.  But without replacing the fixture that may explain the issue but doesn't do anything about a solution.

I have read that this is more of a problem with cheap dimmers and that is what I have.  It is a name brand but definately low end.  Just a knob controlled dimmer from the big box store.

Are more expensive dimmers that much more resistant to this?  This seems like it would be hard to protect against.  I could replace the triac with a higher current one.  A fuse might open slightly faster than the circuit breaker but not likely fast enough to protect the triac.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated...

What type of load? Incadescent, dimmable LED or CFL?
Many LED bulbs have a large Inrush current and repetitive peak currents.
My Lighting Science Group 8.5 watt Definity Dimmable LED bulbs. Say count each bulb as an 80 watt load when adding up wattages for a dimmer. 

load is 180 watts (three 60w incandescent bulbs).  I checked the replacement I picked up for watts rating - 600.  The failed unit might be 300 or 600 - need to check.  It is in a dual box with a standard light switch so no additional heat in the area.  Think I will look the fixture over for possible shorts and maybe borrow an insulation tester but I really think the problem is "burnout arc".  Here is one link that came up when I searched for those terms. 

http://www.sigcon.com/Pubs/edn/NotYourFault.htm

Think I already tossed the bulb so I can't check for the base fuse. 

Back