Lighting Comparison

arock

Hello,
What is the pross and cons between the light sollutions out there? Here is the list I would like to know about.

Insteon
X10
ZigBee
Z-Wave

Thanks
Mitch

That is a $64,000 question. You can add UPB to that list also.

Search here and on Google and you can find lots of opinions. Insteon is cheapest, but has weak software support so far. UPB has best configuration software, but some think the switches are noisy and slow. Z-wave has the most active alliance and partners. Some it is technical pros & cons, but lots of it is personal opinions and trying to predict if all of them will survive 5 years from now.

There are strong supporters for all the technologies you list. I chose Insteon for the following reasons:

*Insteon is the cheapest; even cheaper than designer X-10 switches. With well over a hundred devices to convert, the other technologies just aren't practical for me.

*I like the styling of Insteon stuff (LED colors, brightness bars, etc.)

*Because all Insteon devices also do X-10, I can replace my existing X-10 switches with Insteon and use them in X-10 mode right away. I'll convert slowly to Insteon mode when more software and controller options are available. (Sort of like running active directory in "mixed mode")

*I have converted about 50 devices so far and only had 1 bad unit which was replaced under warranty.

To be fair I have to note a few Insteon negatives that I hope will be fixed soon:

*The software for managing Insteon links is way overdue.

*ApplianceLinc V2 appliance modules have a bad "Local Control" circuit that makes them malfunction with certain loads, especially magnetic ballasts.

*There is no wall mount bracket for the ControLinc console even though promised since the day it was introduced.

*The X-10 to Insteon translator will not currently handle preset dim commands which limits it's use with automation controllers.

*There is currently no relay version of the keypadLinc.

*There are currently no Insteon screw-in or fixture modules.

WayneW said:
...Z-wave has the most active alliance and partners...
...but since it is strictly radio controlled it has trouble with metal junction boxes and is vulnerable to radio interference. Also, device setup determines the most efficient pathway to any device, so a single device failure can put downstream devices out of commission until the network is reconfigured.

I am galde I found this site. This is some great stuff.

I did mean to add UPB also to the list.
I also heard the ZigBee has a big aliances, but I also heard the protocal is very limited. Is this true, and why?

fitzpatri8 said:
WayneW said:
...Z-wave has the most active alliance and partners...
...but since it is strictly radio controlled it has trouble with metal junction boxes and is vulnerable to radio interference. Also, device setup determines the most efficient pathway to any device, so a single device failure can put downstream devices out of commission until the network is reconfigured.
Just to clarify, that's not quite accurate. You can pull any device out of the system, and Z-Wave will automatically use other devices to get the message through. You can set up specific routes, but your controller will just choose another route.

Is there a general misconception that removing devices from a Z-Wave network can break down network communications?

Chris

I'll throw in my two cents for RadioRA, from Lutron. It's pricey, but bulletproof. You want a light turned on, boom, it turns on, no problems, every time, all the time. Plus, if you're the type to do their own rs232 communication, the protocol is well documented and free.

miked said:
I'll throw in my two cents for RadioRA, from Lutron. It's pricey, but bulletproof.
That sums up UPB pretty well also. I think zwave and insteon would die a very rapid death if UPB switches were half the price they are.

Of course there is always the blended approach. Use say UPB where you need the reliability and easy setup, etc. and then use cheapo ICONs for things like the garage and closet flourescents, etc. The only extra cost would be for an additional PIM. Of course you could also look at things like say half the house has neutrals and half doesn't. You could use ZWave in the non neutral locations and UPB or Insteon everywhere else. And, if you are using something like an M1 it is all seamless, just a PIM and XSP (or other interface like Zwave). No one technology is perfect so just use the best one for each particular application or location.

Back