Lightning!

cornutt

My house took a lightning hit last Friday afternoon. I was home, and a thunderstorm came up with very intense lightning. I was standing in the den, looking outside the window, and I saw a stroke that look like it hit just down the hill from the house. I was still dazzled by that when another stroke hit, and I knew right away that the house had been hit: it made that loud "pop" noise that you get when lightning hits very close by, instead of a rumble.

Immediately both the AC-wired smokes and the interior sounders attached to my OPII went off, and there was audio chaos. The lights went out for a moment and then came back on. I looked in the master bedroom and saw that both the smoke and the glass break in there had been triggered. I decided to tackle the system first, and I went to the 5.7e touchscreen, but it was in the process of rebooting due to the power hit.

I was headed downstairs to the console when I caught a whiff of burning electronics. I looked and a switch box nearby had a bit of smoke coming out of it. That box contains an HAI dimmer, a scene switch, and an auxiliary switch which is tied to another dimmer down the hall. I ran and got a screwdriver and removed the wall plate. The smoke was coming from the auxiliary switch. I hastily removed the wire nuts connecting that aux switch to the circuit and yanked out, with the circuit still live. Then I ran back to the garage to pull the breaker on that circuit. I noted while I was in there that another breaker, which feeds some outlets in the den, had tripped.

Next, I went to the OPII console to try to silence the system. However, the console was off-line with a comm error. At this point, I noted that the interior sounders were going on and off randomly. I went to the utility room and was immediately greeted by more burning-electronics smell. I quickly checked the area for smoke and fire but I found none. I opened the door on the OPII, found nothing visibly wrong, and decided to cycle it. I unplugged the power adaptor and it immediately powered down, despite the battery being still connected.

I plugged it back in and then decided I need to run an inspection of the whole house. At some point, the smoke detectors had silenced themselves, and as I went back up the stairs, I noticed that the console had quit beeping, so I knew the OPII had rebooted. Running around the house, I thought I caught a whiff of smoke in a bedroom next to the HVAC closet on the upper floor floor. However, checking in the closet and the attic above, I didn't smell anything. I did note that the RC1000 on that floor didn't light up when I walked past it. I pressed the knob and it didn't respond. Back to the HVAC closet, cycle the breaker, and the RC1000 is working again.

At this point the interior sounders went off again. I'd left the door open on the OPII enclosure, and since I've rigged a tamper switch to it, it tripped the burglary alarm when it rebooted. Back downstairs to the console, cancel the alarm. I went to bypass the zone and noted that I saw the generic zone name rather than the name I had assigned. A quick check showed that the OPII had lost all of its zone and unit names and all of its programming. Get the laptop, fire up PC Access... it can't connect. I noted that the wireless network wasn't connected.

Back to the utility room. On closer inspection, I see that the lights on the wireless router are flashing randomly, the Ethernet hub is dark, and I can smell smoke around the cable amplifier. Turns out I'd lost all of my network gear except the power injection brick for the 5.7e. Tried but failed to communicate with the OPII via a serial port; I've never done it that way and I couldn't find the instructions.

I wound up going to Lowe's and buying a cheap D-Link wireless router/hub in order to get the internal network going again. I did eventually manage to connect to the OPII and restore its configuration. However, after inspecting everything, I found that it is no longer communicating with any of the thermostats. Summing up the other damage:

* Web Mountain SW-7 dimmer
* HAI auxiliary switch
* HAI lamp module (opened it up, took a look, I might be able to repair it)
* Cisco wireless router
* Ethernet hub
* Cable amplifier
* Cable modem

Three breakers were tripped, including an arc fault feeding the master bedroom. They all reset and held. I maintained a fire watch for the next two hours, but nothing else happened.

The next morning, my wife and I went outside and saw where the lightning hit a tree close to the house. It split the tree in half and blasted one large limb into pieces. I found one piece in back, about 75 feet away and in a position where it had to have flown over the house in order to get where it was. As near as I can figure from looking at the stripped bark on the tree, lightning hit it and then either jumped to the aluminum fascia of the house, or went to ground and then entered the house through the crawl space. I haven't found any marks on the house to indicate where it might have been hit directly.

Glad that no one got hurt and the damage was minimal.

Thank-you for providing granular details relating to what happened.

Curious if you have a whole house surge protector and wondering if they work for a direct/close hit like you experienced?

PaulD also wrote about storm related endeavor with his HAI OPII and issues he had with it afterwards a few days ago.

I got slammed by the same storm Friday. Lost power a couple times, and the lightning was really close, but luckily for me nothing got fried. It's a real bummer about all your stuff getting fried. It sucks when you get hit with an unexpected expense like that.

Matt

I was just at a customers site last week in which I replaced about $6000 in access control hardware outside of Boyertown, PA. A flag pole apparently was hit right near the building where the equipment was located.

Is it me of are we getting the July/August thunderstorms early this year?

I've always had a healthy aversion to lightning, only more so with a house full of electronics and kids. It's somewhat reassuring to hear a story of it happening but everyone and most everything surviving. Please keep us updated with what lingering affects you encounter. And glad to hear no one was hurt and no fire.

I think the answer to lightning damage is a good insurance company. I also learned that when lightning hits the 30 foot tall maple tree in the front yard and sends limbs all over the property, it is best if at least some damage occurs to the house. It takes just a dented rain gutter or some scraped shingles. In my case the agent was impressed that the limbs went all the way over the house without hitting it, but he paid nothing. Any damage and he would have had Trees On The Move install a mature replacement tree for the cost of the deductable. At least the household electronics survived.

Updating... After a complete check, I discovered that my OPII is no longer talking to the thermostats. I created a test configuration and deduced that the output 8 (the one the thermostat bus has to be assigned to) is not working. I'm sending in an email today for a repair RA. The thermostats all appear to be working, but I can't tell if their comm functions still work until I get the OPII fixed.

I've opened up some of the stuff that failed to have a look around. The auxiliary switch was toast. In the HAI lamp module, I found a burned transistor which I think I can replace. There's nothing obviously wrong with the SW-7: I don't see any burn marks, no swollen caps, and no smell. I did note that the heat sink compound from the triac has run all over the back of the circuit board, and I might try to clean that up and see if it makes a difference. But I suspect that the PIC code memory has been corrupted. The wireless router has a potted daughter board that appears to have overheated. The cable modem's Ethernet MII chip is blown. (Other than that, it still works, but it's of no use without a working Ethernet port.)

I checked the interiors of all of my panels, and as much of the wiring at that end of the house as I could get a look at, and I didn't find anything out of the ordinary. pete_c, I do have a whole house surge protector; it's the type Square D makes that mounts in a panel slot. It appears to still be good. I can't tell if it it didn't do anything, or if it perhaps prevented the situation from being a whole lot worse. The damaged wiring devices were on different circuits, but all in the same area of the house. Oddly, this area is in almost the exact center of the house, about 40 feet away from the corner of the house where the tree was. I discovered afterwards that all of the network gear that blew was on a circuit that also feeds exterior outlets at the rear of the house. I wasn't aware of that, and I'm working on relocating that stuff to another circuit. The OPII was on a circuit more or less by itself, but it did have an Ethernet connection to the router that blew.

Thank-you Cornutt for the info.

I'm in the belief to just replace the devices that no longer work. I still have to install whole house protection and your issues have prompted me to accelerate the process.

Over the last 5 years I've added new circuits to the 200 AMP panel and have dedicated these (mostly just 15 AMP and a few 20 AMP - kind of overdoing it a bit). My panel was full so I started using tandem switches and keeping the amp draw as even as I could between the two sides of the phases. Many of the ciruits used existing and added conduit with new wires.

Not sure if you are going to accelerate the RA but I have a spare OPII (my old one) if you need to borrow it.

cornutt, after a strike like that, how do you know your HV wiring wasn't compromised in some way? I think that's what I'd be most concerned about is the HV wires getting burnt out or somehow otherwise weakened.

We had a bad storm a couple months ago and I noticed my ups that powers the panel was beeping. I went in to find that the network switch power supply was dead even though it was plugged in to the UPS. The PIM was dead. Also 6 of my HAI UPB relay switches were dead. What is very strange is that I had a relay switch and a house controller (8 button switch) in the same box and only the relay switch was toast. Later I found out my outdoor Ac condensing unit was ruined as well. It kinda sucks since this is my garage and I don't have an insurance policy on it. I bit the bullet and replaced all the stuff but not before I installed a whole home surge system.

Neil

cornutt, after a strike like that, how do you know your HV wiring wasn't compromised in some way? I think that's what I'd be most concerned about is the HV wires getting burnt out or somehow otherwise weakened.

That's a good question. Without ripping out drywall, all I can do is inspect the portions of the circuits that are visible. I went into the attic above the bedroom near where the hit was and had a look at the circuits up there, which includes most of the circuit on which the arc-fault tripped. Part of the utility room circuit that was powering the network equipment is visible in the utility room, and I inspected that. I looked inside all of the boxes which contained devices that failed. I looked into a wiring chase that runs through the garage via access ports that I made previously. And finally, I took the dead fronts off of the panels and had a look around.

Nowhere did I see any evidence of arcing, burning, or melting. No discolored or corroded copper, no blistered insulation, no traces of smoke or carbon (other than the one box where the aux switch burned up). And the arc fault breaker that tripped on the hit hasn't tripped since (and yes, I did the self-test on it, and it worked). Without special test equipment, or opening up the drywall, that's as much as I can do.

I don't envy you cornutt, and I hope I can never relate! I think it'd be like sleeping in your house after a burglary...hard to have peace of mind. But that's what breakers and smoke detectors are for, so I guess that's how you keep your sanity.

Back