• You've been granted Beta access to this site, allowing you to explore some of the new features while they're still under construction. More information can be found in the Beta forum.

'Lo Y'all

PaulH

Not much to say, 35+ years working with computers & electronics.
I'm four years into HA.
It started when I decided that I needed to reclaim coffie table, it looked like a remote control parking lot.
Then it was X10 for the lights, an Ocelot to handle my TOADS. Then I added a SECU16 to control my mini-blinds, then a SECU16IR for multi-zone IR crontrol, and it's still growing.

Currently, I live in a two bedroom apartment in Historic Dundalk, ( ;) ), Maryland.

BTW, Should have said this first off, FANTASTIC 'SITE! :p

SYSTEM:

AV server ( P III 732 Mhz)
Ocelot, SECU16, SECU16IR
Houselinc Digial Break-out-boxes (for TOAD monitoring)
Various Xantech modules
TERK LEAPFROG (old style not 2.4G)
IR543

JVC Receiver
2- S-VHS
300 disc DVD player
100 disc CD player
50" RPTV
IR controlled AV switch (4-2)
Auto detect AV switch (4-1)
2Ghz Broadband amp (1-1-6)
2- S-video distribution amps (1-6)

Cable modem
D-link WIFI & Router

Fujitsu point 1600 WIFI TouchScreen

KIOSK / POS 12" LCD TOUCH SCREEN PC TERMINAL W/WIFI

Various X10 modules, transceivers, & wireless switch pads

Comcast digtial cable & internet

Squintz

PaulH im from essex... Recently moved to Harford County. Welcome to the boards. Hope to see you arround and maybe bull shit over a drink one night.

BTW Where did you work with computers and electronics. I currently work at APG)Aberdeen Proving Grounds) as and electronics tech.

Guy Lavoie

WayneW said:
What is a TOAD and how do you monitor it?
TOAD is an acronym for "Toggle Only Activated Device". This is a device like many TV's that only have 1 IR code for turning them on and off. This makes them harder to automate because your controller cannot assume that they are presently on or off. Monitoring involves using a device that detects whether the appliance is on or off in varying ways like detecting current draw, detecting audio signal, pilot LED, etc and feeding a signal back to the controller so that it only conditionally issues an IR command if needed.

WayneW

ahh "closing the loop" in engineering speak... I know the concept, just never heard the acronym, thanks

PaulH

Squintz said:
BTW Where did you work with computers and electronics.  I currently work at APG)Aberdeen Proving Grounds) as and electronics tech.

Let's see, where do I start?