Lock Bumping

I heard of bumping for the first time about a year ago (def con 14) and was picked up by some news stations. Around that time we happened to have a locksmith at the office, so, I asked him about this, and his response was, "you watch too much tv". :blink:

I heard of bumping for the first time about a year ago (def con 14) and was picked up by some news stations. Around that time we happened to have a locksmith at the office, so, I asked him about this, and his response was, "you watch too much tv". :blink:

I saw this also about a year ago... Made a homemade version of a bump key from some instructions on You Tube. It does work. I then found a place that sells a complete set that will open about 90% of the locks out there. So far I haven't found one (all with owners permission) that I couldn't bump....and I don't know a thing about locks or locksmithing. They do work.

Maybe the "you watch too much tv" comment was more along the lines of "don't go overboard on your door locks since you probably have breakable windows in your house also"? I always assumed that household door locks just kept out the honest people anyway. I would rather have my Elk M1 than bump-proof locks. But I agree that lock-bumping could be a big issue for anything using a padlock.

Bumping is what occurs when a locksmith uses a Pick-gun. The skill is in the amount of tension to apply when turning the cylinder while "Bumping" it. The short and sweet is this: If the lock is a Kwikset brand then it can be bumped 100% of the time. If it's a Schlage then all bets are off. If the cuts in the keys are mixed with deep and shallow ones then it is much more difficult to bump. Lubricating the cylinder core also aids in bumping. Use good quality locks and vary the cut depths and you can prevent lock manipulation. Of course there is something called a SECURITY SYSTEM! Locks will prevent/deter/slow down an intruder... but a security system will alert you to their presence.

The skill is in the amount of tension to apply when turning the cylinder while "Bumping" it.

I've seen video out there of a very young (5 maybe) girl bumping a lock . .

I think that is what is most troubling about this . . no skill required.

The short and sweet is this: If the lock is a Kwikset brand then it can be bumped 100% of the time. If it's a Schlage then all bets are off.

I believe (think I read somewhere) that any "single cut pin-tumbler" type lock can be easily bumped . .

Pete C

You could always get Medeco locks and keys... of course then you would pay $70 for a copy...

I believe (think I read somewhere) that any "single cut pin-tumbler" type lock can be easily bumped . .

Pete C
[/quote]

You are incorrect sir! Better quality locks (Schlage) are harder to pick/bump because of tighter tolerances in the core. I have never failed to pick/bump a Kwikset cylinder. I cant say that about Schlage. Again, the cut of the key is very important for pick/bump resistance. ... Then there is Medeco. If I only had one way into my home, and it was a steel door and frame, I would spend extra for the locks. But typically the doors and casings are weaker than a Medeco lock itself so it is overkill.
...Is that your Alarm I hear ringing!?

Having worked for a company that was a partner company to a lock shop I too found out about this about 2 years ago. It does work and I have confirmed it on my house. That's why I have an alarm system and a handful of guns in different locations.

The first noise the intruder hears is the warning. The second noise they hear, unfortunately will be their last.

You are incorrect sir! Better quality locks (Schlage) are harder to pick/bump because of tighter tolerances in the core.

reading up and I find that (from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lock_bumping)

"Ironically, more precise manufacturing tolerances within the cylinder make bumping easier as the pins move more freely and smoothly. Also, more expensive locks made of hardened steel are actually more vulnerable because they are less prone to damage during the bumping process which might cause a cheaper lock to jam."

and over at Toool.nl they were able to bump 80% (47 out of 60) of locks that were on the list of locks with the “Dutch Police Seal of Approval for Secure Housing”. Many of them were previously considered high security.

(pdf http://www.toool.nl/consumer-reports-nl.pdf)

and while not bumpable, "most, if not all Medeco locks can be compromised in seconds with a strip of metal and a thin screw driver". (also from wikipedia entry above)

Pete C

and while not bumpable, "most, if not all Medeco locks can be compromised in seconds with a strip of metal and a thin screw driver". (also from wikipedia entry above)
Not that I'm saying their wrong but I can't see how this is. When you see how Medeco locks work I don't know how you can compromise them. From what I have heard even experienced locksmiths have a real hard time getting into these...

Chris

EDIT:
ok... I guess this is how. They still have to see a copy of the actual key to get an idea of how to copy it first but still pretty crazy. I guess there is not much you can do to keep out determined thieves.

lots of info concerning this at . .

http://www.toool.nl/index-eng.php

and the Medeco crack . .

http://www.security.org/

. . from what I read they just had a data sheet on the keys, not a physical one . . considering their knowledge they probably had an idea what the key looked like . .

That's why when my house is in a state of "Armed - Away" I lock the doors with an electronic locking plate that gets magnetically pulled out of the door into the frame. Bump or not, the door isn't going to open without breaking the WHOLE doorjam (it's re-inforced with a plate across the WHOLE doorjam).

Oh, battery backed of course, with a quick release button incase someone needs to exit the house in a HURRY (fire, etc.)

Or at least it will when the stuff come in from the mail.

--Dan

Back