Looking for knobs to replace X10 dials

PaulH

Anyone know where I can find these? They fit into the 'wheels' on standard X10 modules and allow the settings to be changed without a screwdriver.

Charry= carry

YUP THAT's 'EM!

They used to come in colors other than black.

Martin,

Let me know when you've got them. If it's not too difficult I'd prefer two different colors, (not 'sunset' black & 'midnight' black :blink:) red and black would be OK.

Thankx

PaulH

Martin,
Please let me know when these are available, I'll also be wanting a ControLinc Maxi X-10 controller.

Thx

PaulH

These wheels although really cool looking are not as great as they sound. I had a heck of a time turning the dial with them. If they were more than a few buck I would have returned them and gone back to my screwdriver.

I was not impressed with the product. :blink:

I often thought about gluing a small marrette to the inner part of the wheel with epoxy to accomplish this.

Never tried it though.

You would need to be really careful with the epoxy as one slip and the unit is coded forever !

Why necessary?

What's wrong with the screwdriver approach? How are you using X10 such that you need to keep changing the HC/UC more than the original setting with maybe a rare config change?

gk

gregking said:
Why necessary?

What's wrong with the screwdriver approach? How are you using X10 such that you need to keep changing the HC/UC more than the original setting with maybe a rare config change?

gk
To give an example:

Next to my bed, I have two palmpads. One is used to control basic lighting and applicances (lamps, fans, etc.) on a specific house code (say "A").

The other controls my av crosspoint switch on a separate house code (say "B"). I actually use this palmpad for 24 different commands (B1 ON through B8 ON, B1 OFF through B8 OFF, and B9 OFF through B16 OFF). I switch between B1-B8 and B9-B16 using the 1-8/9-16 switch on the palmpad - which is easy to do. This doesn't leave room for enough normal on/off commands on the same house code.

I need to have both palmpads there for convenience - so I don't also need a screwdriver there. If it were easier to switch between the housecodes, then I'd only need one.

Actually, I'd probably still use two separate palmpads for this. But at least that's an example.

WARNING! Those code clickers do not work on unmodified palmpads, due to the height of the acrylic label cover. You either have to lose the cover or hack the code clicker.

Tom

The new ControlLinc's might be easier if you are looking to simplify. I liked the look of them so far and this would basically let you use any combination and then hot key the top 10 on the front panel. Sounds like you have your x10 codes memorized already.

Granted you would need to buy an insteon reciever as well (or does this also work with rf x10?) so its much more expensive than the knobs, just a hell of a lot cooler (imo) and lets you use only a single remote (and you don't need to hack the palmpads).

I like the new Controlinc maxi controllers. I will probably end up getting at least one of the X10-only ones. However, they do need to be plugged into the wall. I'd really like a wireless version but my understanding is that this is the last x10-only device that Smarthome will be developing.

Back