Low profile low voltage LED "cans" for ceiling tile?

tpboyce

Several years ago, I installed the LiteSpeed system in my basement remodel. We did not have a ton of headroom, nor a lot of extra power, so this worked great. Overall, I am was extremely happy with the look and the install. A couple of issues that I do have is that the bulbs do not last. It could very well be a factor of kids running upstairs while the lights are on. They also run relatively warm.

I have seen several LED low voltage pucks on the web that look like they have clips that would hold them in place like the LiteSpeed. A couple of issues that I see is that they have some odd wire/transformer arrangements. Also, they appear to use special dimmers. I would love something that I could still dim with UPB. Anyone use something like this in ceiling tile?

I have thought of slowly upgrading the MR16 bulbs in the LiteSpeed to LED, however am concerned of the safety of doing so.

The depot has LED "inserts" that go into a standard 6" can. Basically you pull the "plate" out of the can so the socket is hanging free, then the LED will push in. They have collapsible wings to remove them. I have a bunch of them and love them. They screw right into a standard socket, nothing special needed. The only problem with dimming is 10%. If I go straight to 10% it actually goes to 20%, I can then go down to 10%. This is not a problem for me, hardly ever use a 10% dim anyway.
I'm using UPB by the way.
Oh and the best part, their $20 a piece! can't beat em.

Yeah, those are great for the kitchen and such, but we do not have room for a full can in our suspended ceiling.

I've seen LED ceiling tiles; if you do some searching you'll see what I mean; they're really no thicker than a standard ceiling tile requiring nearly no clearance; some say they're dimmable; you'd have to do some additional research...

Here's on for example: http://www.brighttechsolutions.com/ledceilingpanels.htm

I don't know if this will help your situation, but wanted to install lights in my outside soffits during my home remodeling. When the electricians went in, they found out there was not enough clearance for normal recessed cans. I looked all over for low clearance lights, and finally found Twice Bright Lighting. They had recessed cans that were small enough to fit my soffits, and so far so good.

The only drawback is that they were very expensive, but you will find that with most LED setups. Let me know if you need information on where to buy; the company I purchased from was excellent.

You want these:

http://www.lsgc.com/interior_led_lighting/glimpse/

They run just over $40 each. 750 lumens. Can be mounted on a can, or to a 4" j-box. I've been thinking of getting some to test out.

Saw these Phillips surface mount lights used in the kitchen of the recent Bedford House project on This Old House:

eWDownlightSM_MED.jpg

Here's the info:

http://www.colorkinetics.com/ls/essentialwhite/ewdownlight/

Mike..

Back