LTE network backup routers

ecborgoyn

Has anyone deployed an LTE network backup solution?  Typically a 'router' device that upon failure of a primary internet link will route traffic via an LTE/4G link?  What router/radio?  What carrier?  What type of data plan?  There looks to be cost effective 'IOT' data plans that provide low bandwidth and small data caps, but would be more than adequate for alarm reporting or other telemetry applications.

I'm looking to segment my home network and place critical resources behind this type of router.  Critical resources would include an alarm system, etc.

I've been thinking about a cellular backup specifically for alarm reporting.  This goes another direction by providing multiple paths for internet alarm reporting.  It's not exactly the same as a dedicated cellular alarm system device, but it could be more general purpose and flexible.  I'm thinking the upfront costs would be higher, but the recurring costs could me lower...

Any thoughts and pointers are welcome.

I am doing this today with an old and cheap Ericsson W25 3G combo router on T-Mobile. 

Modem.jpg

Works but slow at around 5Mbs (very slow uploads < 1Mbs)  

It is used as a failover internet connection to my primary Comcast ISP account and alarm panel failover and spare phone line.

I originally purchased an LTE wireless AP.  This device though only provided a wireless AP and the microUSB port is disabled on it.

Testing LTE here getting around 15Mbs with a T-Mobile repeater.

I have read that T-Mobile offers a combo LTE router today that will work with their network.  

My preference though would be purchasing an unlocked Huawei.

Might do an AT&T ISP backup as it available at a good price for 1-2 years.  I have read with AT&T you have to use their hardware.

I use them at work all the time.

Opengear LTE backup routers.  They run a swiss army knife of network/routing/VPN protocols, can sit in line at a site's egress and automatically switch to LTE if they go down.

We use AT&T since we have a strategic partnership with them.  Our plan on the LTE boxes is a shared plan with pooled data, since only one site every once in a while will shift to LTE.  Speeds are pretty decent, but all of our locations are in metro areas.

We also use them for out of band management of network gear at remote sites, so if something does go wrong we don't have to fly someone out.

neillt said:
We also use them for out of band management of network gear at remote sites, so if something does go wrong we don't have to fly someone out.

Like a dial in modem? What 'modem' (LTE/4G device) is used for this?

Years ago in the age before the internet at work we (airlines) would utilize modems (connected to copper lines) connected to routers for out of band management which mostly was just to use telnet and maybe to reboot the router.

Any LTE modem can be utilized in the same fashion. 

Today with my Ericcson modem I can telnet to it and issue regular modem commands plus wireless cellular commands like command line SMS. Note the mfg date of my modem is from 2009.

These were also utilizes for temporary off site offices connectivity.

A combo modem AP provides a LAN, WAP and a pots line.

I read that in the EU and Canada you can utilize an unlocked Huawei modem with T-Mobile with no issues.

Here in the US T-Mobile, AT&T and Verizon do not let you do this.

Initially my T-Mobile accounts were unlimited everything. Today they cap the accounts and I rarely surf on my cellular accounts.

Thanks for the feedback.

I've researched a few LTE Routers from folks like Netgear, 'Accelerated Concepts (part of Digi), and a few others.  Similar concepts.

Regarding the recurring costs (data plan), what are people using?  I need small amounts of data at only very modest rates.  Some carriers have 'IOT' class of service and SIM's...  Are these available to the average consumer?

Here using a T-Mobile LTE SIM card for $20 / month.  It does register as a home router with the 3G connection. 

Now that T-Mobile sells the newer LTE devices will ask T-Mobile if I can switch over to an LTE modem.

linuxha said:
Like a dial in modem? What 'modem' (LTE/4G device) is used for this?

Just now following up on this.  The opengears have the LTE modem built in.  You slide a SIM in (some models allow for 2 different SIMs) and then the LTE modem shows up as an interface on the router.

A few years back here picked up a couple of Nexus Hawk radio modems.  These were dual sim with geotracking including a GPS.  Very well built old technology.

The Nexus Hawk 4G is a gateway router linking broadband cellular data, such as CDMA, GSM and Wi-Fi (IEEE 802.11)a, b, g, n) and WAN (such as BGAN Satellite) networks providing enterprises with broadband wireless internet/network data services in mobile and remote environments.[1]

The Nexus Hawk’s original development was funded under a DOD prime contract. The technology was primarily designed for military use and supports public safety. The Nexus Hawk is currently in use by law enforcement agencies, governmental data infrastructure, commercial fleet, connectivity in and to retail locations, and livery services in Washington DC.

The device provides; secure access to public and private wired and wireless networks including; Sprint (CDMA EVDO Rev A, 1xRTT), Verizon Wireless LTE, CDMA EVDO Rev A 1xRTT, AT&T Wireless 4G, GSM /HSDPA, Telus HSDPA+, CDMA EVDO Rev A 1xRTT, Washington DC EVDO Rev A Regional Wireless Broadband Network (RWBN), non-U.S. cellular networks, and secure WiFi. GPS for applications such as Automatic Vehicle Location (AVL) sometimes commercial referred to as fleet tracking or Geo-Based Dispatch and Navigation. Connectivity to multiple simultaneous WAN via GIG ethernet, USB or WiFi paths with user-selectable order for failover and fail back. Access to 4 simultaneous WANS and GPS. Automatic and persistent network connections. Incorporates 2 USB and 4 PCI-M slots to accommodate future networks such as WiMAX and Public Safety Band), accepts ExpressCard 34mm air cards, PCMCIA CardBus air cards and USB air cards via adapter, Secure Remote Configuration Management, Built in IPsec and OpenVPN and pass through security features, FIPS140-2 SSL Certified Module.

Back