M1 vs EZ8 Differences

electron

Administrator
Staff member
These are the ones I can think of without doing any research:
  • only 8 zones vs 16 zones (but can be expanded up to the same # as the M1)
  • the EZ8 doesn't have any voice support
  • it is supposed to ship with a smaller backup battery from what I have heard
  • it does not have a real time clock chip (not a big deal tho)
  • smaller footprint
If someone form Elk emails me the detailed information for both panels, I could try to create a table which shows the differences.

WayneW

smaller price!

David stated that a goal of the EZ8 was to get it price competitive with many other security only type of control panels and sell in very high volumes.

harleydude

Thanks for the quick responses. A list of differences would be great.

I am sure the security aspect of it is as good, if not better, than other panels. My main area of interest right now is the automation side of things. I am looking at this as a replacement for HomeSeer. I am trying to understand what flexibility I might lose/gain by using the EZ8 and how much might need to be handled by PC and sent to the EZ8 thru the comport. Right now I use the W800 to handle motion sensors, DS10's and palmpads, I know that I will need to be creative to make that work with either unit.

I know a few people are looking at using one of these panels to handle most, if not all, of thier automation control. Is there anything that I should consider before making this decision?

Thanks
Rick

electron

Administrator
Staff member
Some of the major downfalls, IMO, is that the M1/EZ8 can't talk to the W800RF directly, and the lack of support for IR. I know Elk is pretty busy, and they are looking into some solutions, but those 2 items alone are major showstoppers if you are interested in the HA aspect. If it did that, it could replace many HA setups instantly. I plan on keeping my Ocelot/SCU16 in service, and am looking into using ASCII messages to trigger IR events, but this means I need to get another serial port expander.

As for the W800RF, I am thinking about writing a small application, which understands the W800RF protocol, and send a messages the M1/EZ8 whenever there is something going on. I just have to figure out if I should use ASCII messages or what, since I don't want to run into any potential memory limitations by using so many ASCII messages.

harleydude

Electron could you elaborate on this for me:
I just have to figure out if I should use ASCII messages or what, since I don't want to run into any potential memory limitations by using so many ASCII messages.

Thanks
Rick

Chakara

I think he is talking about the Elk's 500 or so rule limit, each asci string would take up a rule....