M1XEP Issues - No network response

klims

Hi guys, 

Long time reader, first time poster. I haven't found any posts that cover my particular issue so I'm hoping it's not a dead end...

I have an M1EZ8 security and home automation controller that I bought a little over a year ago that I've only just finished setting up. Now that it's all up and working I attempted to connect the M1XEP Ethernet interface that I bought with the setup but am having no luck. It's worth noting that I have the NESS product version of all these systems, however it appears that they are all exactly the same as the ELK products. The installation manuals are even the same, with the exception of the company logo.

I'm getting no network response whatsoever from the device when powered up. I can't even get it to respond to a ping.
I've tried both running it through a router and setting DHCP on the M1XEP as well as static IP with a direct connection to my PC.  My manual calls out the static IP as 192.168.0.251 but this gives no response when plugged in directly to my PC. I've also tried multiple straight through and crossover cables with no luck.

As a last ditch effort I ran a script to hit all IPs in the 192.168.0.XXX subnet with no response either.
What is strange is that the device behaves as though everything is working, the lights blink as expected, it responds as expected with the static/dhcp jumper, network lights on the port blink like normal but I can't seem to get a response from the device.
Seeing the green lights blink on the network port when plugged in to my PC made me think it is probably communicating in some way but wireshark didn't show anything interesting.

I'm all out of ideas, this device is brand new and should have been working. I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Cheers.

A few suggestion if you have not already tried them...

The XEP defaults to DHCP. I suggest define a static lease for the XEP MAC address in your router and/or login to your router to find out what IP address it assigned to the XEP.

ElkRP software defaults to the default 6 digit installer code. If you changed it from the default you will need to update the installer code in the ElkRP software.

The ElkRP software requires .NET. Make you have have the latest .NET installed.

If you are trying to run on W10, you must first update the XEP firmware on a computer running an older version of Windows. W10 dropped support for less secure encryption bit depths, which the XEP needs to be updated first before trying to connect on a W10 machine.

All the latest firmware and software is available from the M1 Owners site.http://www.elkproducts.com/m1_owner_support.html

I've never tried to find a XEP on a network via Ping for initial setup. As mentioned, the XEP is setup for DHCP by default, so I connect it to a DHCP enabled network and use the "Find" function in the M1XEP Setup window.

Thanks for the suggestions. I should have mentioned that I have tried all the suggested ways to connect via the ElkRP software including:
  • ElkRP software with windows XP PC (also tried Windows 10 PC)
  • M1XEP Diagnostics (1.1.0) from windows 10 PC
  • M1XEP Update Utility from Windows XP

Can anyone tell me if the M1XEP needs to be plugged in to the controller via serial cable in order to respond to connection requests? I have changed the RP Access Code on my EZ8 so I'm wondering if this could possibly be the issue? I wouldn't have thought so given I'm trying to connect via ethernet

elvisimprsntr said:
The XEP defaults to DHCP. I suggest define a static lease for the XEP MAC address in your router and/or login to your router to find out what IP address it assigned to the XEP.

Just tried this with no luck. My router doesn't show any connection info the the XEP even though I have seen the green light blink. Wireshark doesn't show any network traffic from the device either.

elvisimprsntr said:
ElkRP software defaults to the default 6 digit installer code. If you changed it from the default you will need to update the installer code in the ElkRP software.

I have fully configured the controller in the ElkRP software including a new RP access code.

klims said:
Can anyone tell me if the M1XEP needs to be plugged in to the controller via serial cable in order to respond to connection requests? I have changed the RP Access Code on my EZ8 so I'm wondering if this could possibly be the issue? I wouldn't have thought so given I'm trying to connect via ethernet

If "plugged in to the controller via serial cable" means plugged into the M1, I think the answer is "yes."  

I just unplugged my XEP's connection to my M1 Gold, and when I did that, I got system did not respond when I tried to connect.

In my mind, the XEP and the M1 are, in effect, an integrated unit, and you need them connected to talk to the M1 or for the XEP to function as designed.  The other option is a direct serial connection to your M1 from your laptop or PC.

Seeing as I changed the default RP access code using a serial connection directly to my PC, how would I go about connecting the M1XEP to the controller and giving it the updated access code if I can't connect to it over the network unless its connected to my controller?? I can't make sense of this.

I'll try to reset the access code to default and try all of this again.

What I find most confusing is that I have read other user posts who have XEP issues who say that even when their units were acting strangely they were still able to ping the network port when the XEP was set to static IP. I can't even get this to work.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll keep trying.

klims said:
Seeing as I changed the default RP access code using a serial connection directly to my PC, how would I go about connecting the M1XEP to the controller and giving it the updated access code if I can't connect to it over the network unless its connected to my controller?? I can't make sense of this.

You don't need to "give the M1XEP the access code". When you use ElkRP to connect to the panel, the access code is passed through the XEP to the controller - the access code is defined/provided on the Account Details page.

Understand that you are not really connecting "to the XEP" module, but rather you are connecting to the M1 panel through the XEP module. The connection on the M1 panel is a serial connection; the XEP is essentially just a serial-to-IP conversion module.

they were still able to ping the network port when the XEP was set to static IP. I can't even get this to work.
If you use the "Find" feature does it locate your XEP module?

Attachments

• FindXEP.jpg
    FindXEP.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 7
drvnbysound said:
If you use the "Find" feature does it locate your XEP module?

Unfortunately the "Find" feature does not work for me. This is the reason I am so far down the rabbit hole with this problem :blush:

klims said:
Unfortunately the "Find" feature does not work for me. This is the reason I am so far down the rabbit hole with this problem :blush:

Is your XEP configured to use a DHCP address? 

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies, unfortunately I am still not able to get my device to work.

One last thought was the power supply to the unit. I'm powering the device from my home alarm which is putting out 13.9v. This is a little above the 12v recommendation in the manual. I figured it's still within the bounds of an unregulated DC power supply, but I could have been wrong.
Q: does anyone know the upper voltage limit of the M1XEP device?

Thanks

klims said:
One last thought was the power supply to the unit. I'm powering the device from my home alarm which is putting out 13.9v. This is a little above the 12v recommendation in the manual. I figured it's still within the bounds of an unregulated DC power supply, but I could have been wrong.
Q: does anyone know the upper voltage limit of the M1XEP device?

13.9V should not be a problem.  Have you done a current load calculation on your alarm system to make sure the power supply is not overloaded?  At 13.9V, is doesn't sound like it is, but to be sure.

I would remove the ethernet cable from the xep and plug it into my pc and see if the pc gets assigned an address from the router. Then you will be able to play with the pc to see if you can access the router and make sure that the pc can communicate with the router through that cable. Also look at the address that is assigned to the pc if you do get connected and you will be able to see if it is in the same sub-net as the address that elkrp resides at.

If the pc is successful then I would look to the xep for the trouble.

Mike..

I've done a rough calc of the system when in normal operation(no siren) and the reg shouldn't be anywhere near overloaded.

I have verified that all my network equipment is working as expected. It's definitely a problem on the XEP end

Back