m1xin enrollment - with m1dbh

jon102034050

Hey guys - I am having some enrollment issues with my new m1xin that I'm attempting to install.  My setup looks like this at the moment: 1 m1dbh that has feeds for
- m1kp2 at address 1
- m1kp2 at address 2
- p212s at address 3
- m1kp at address 4
- m1xin at address 5 (dip switches set to on, off, on, off)

I have hooked up the ethernet cable between the m1dbh and the m1xin as demonstrated in the manual, and the LED flashes 5 times evenly (showing that it's ready for enrollment) but when I attempt to enroll the m1xin, nothing shows up.  In the keypad menu, I do see the errors increasing on the bus menu, but am not sure if this is because of issues with my wiring, or what (states retry T1A3, not entirely sure what this means though).  I'm confident the crimp on the plug that goes into the dbh from the m1xin is good because it came from a spare cable I made (that had crimps on both ends), and I was able to test it out prior to cutting a crimp off on the one end.  Other miscellaneous information: 
- jp3 is terminated on the elk m1
- jp1 is set to no on the m1xin
- the terminating jumper is set in the j6 slot on my m1dbh

How can I troubleshoot this further?

Here are some ideas to try:

1.  Recheck the RJ45 cable from the DBH to the XIN to make sure you do not have the A and B wires reversed.  Reversed wiring will cause data bus errors.

2. Unplug the XIN from the DBH and reposition the termination plug to J5.  Check the diagnostic menu to see if the bus errors are still increasing.  If they aren't, then that points to the wiring or the XIN itself as the source of the problem.

3.  Connect the XIN directly to the M1's data bus terminal strip using a 4 wire cable, skipping the DBH. That is, make a two-branch data bus.  Remove JP3 from the M1, and set JP1 on the XIN to yes.  Then see if that works any better.  If it works, then that points to the RJ45 cable as the source of your problem.

It's possible that the XIN is defective.  It wouldn't be the first time someone has run into a bad one.

One other point.  You've assigned the XIN an address of 5.  That's ok, but the zones will be numbered 65-80. If this is the only XIN, then you could assign it an address of 2, resulting in zone numbers of 17-32.  Addresses need to be unique only by device type.  Keypads and the P212S are type 1.  Input expanders are type 2.   See page 13 of the M1G installation manual for more information.

I just noticed in your post that you said you are seeing a diagnostic status code of T1A3.  That means device Type 1, Address 3, which would be your P212S from the config information you posted.

So another thing to check is the wiring to the P212S to make sure it is good and solid.  If that doesn't clear up the errors, try temporarily removing the P212S from the configuration and see if that makes a difference with the XIN working.

RAL said:

1.  Recheck the RJ45 cable from the DBH to the XIN to make sure you do not have the A and B wires reversed.  Reversed wiring will cause data bus errors.

2. Unplug the XIN from the DBH and reposition the termination plug to J5.  Check the diagnostic menu to see if the bus errors are still increasing.  If they aren't, then that points to the wiring or the XIN itself as the source of the problem.

3.  Connect the XIN directly to the M1's data bus terminal strip using a 4 wire cable, skipping the DBH. That is, make a two-branch data bus.  Remove JP3 from the M1, and set JP1 on the XIN to yes.  Then see if that works any better.  If it works, then that points to the RJ45 cable as the source of your problem.

It's possible that the XIN is defective.  It wouldn't be the first time someone has run into a bad one.

One other point.  You've assigned the XIN an address of 5.  That's ok, but the zones will be numbered 65-80. If this is the only XIN, then you could assign it an address of 2, resulting in zone numbers of 17-32.  Addresses need to be unique only by device type.  Keypads and the P212S are type 1.  Input expanders are type 2.   See page 13 of the M1G installation manual for more information.

Terrific input, I'll try this tomorrow AM.  I had forgotten that the m1xin is a different device type than keypads, and it can be on the same bus number as an existing one.

RAL said:
I just noticed in your post that you said you are seeing a diagnostic status code of T1A3.  That means device Type 1, Address 3, which would be your P212S from the config information you posted.

So another thing to check is the wiring to the P212S to make sure it is good and solid.  If that doesn't clear up the errors, try temporarily removing the P212S from the configuration and see if that makes a difference with the XIN working.

Now that I'm watching this a little more, I see T1A3 with ~10 errors in the past hour or so that my M1 has been up.  Is this something to be concerned with, or is this reasonable?  I'll try to pull the p212s out tomorrow morning and see if the m1xin enrolls.   

I would double check that there are no terminating jumpers on any device other than the M1 panel and the dbh.

Mike.

I have been told by elk that 10 errors per hour is not a problem barring any other symptoms. The errors are re-transmissions on the  data bus which is expected. A few re-transmissions per hour in itself is meaningless.

Mike.

mikefamig said:
I would double check that there are no terminating jumpers on any device other than the M1 panel and the dbh.

Mike.
Just double checked this, only devices with terminating jumpers are the m1 and the dbh. 

mikefamig said:
I have been told by elk that 10 errors per hour is not a problem barring any other symptoms. The errors are re-transmissions on the  data bus which is expected. A few re-transmissions per hour in itself is meaningless.

Mike.
This is good to know, thank you

RAL said:

This ended up pointing me in the correct direction.  I tested number 3 and was able to find the m1xin when I removed the jp3 on t he m1, and set the m1xin terminating jumper to yes.  Now, does this mean that it's for sure my wiring to the m1xin, or could it possibly be another item plugged into the dbh thats reversed...?  Here's a pic of the m1xin connections, maybe this is wrong?

Z9GzJOz.jpg

Have you looked at the wiring diagram that came with the DBH? In your photo you have one wire to data-A and one wire to data-B on the XIN. A properly wired DBH would have two wires to data-A and two wires to data-B. Each data terminal needs one wire to deliver data to the XIN and another to return data to the DBH.

Mike.

EDIT

The second wire is needed to return the signal back to the DBH so that the DBH can pass it on to the next device in the chain.

mikefamig said:
Have you looked at the wiring diagram that came with the DBH? In your photo you have one wire to data-A and one wire to data-B on the XIN. A properly wired DBH would have two wires to data-A and two wires to data-B. Each data terminal needs one wire to deliver data to the XIN and another to return data to the DBH.

Mike.

Welp, that explains quite a bit.  Knew I would come out of this thread looking dumb, but being smarter.  I really appreciate the help.

This stuff is very humbling and I'm always learning.

Put the terminating jumper back on the M1 and the other terminating plug in the last socket of the DBH and straighten out the wiring and let us know how it goes.

mikefamig said:
Here's a snip of the wiring diagram

Thanks Mike - I appreciate it!  I was able to wire up my m1xin to the DBH, and it enrolls as expected.  But, now I'm having issues with my p212s not enrolling.  I tried to take the same approach and plugin the p212s directly to the m1 using the 4-wire cable, but it still doesnt enroll (changed the jumpers also, jp3 removed on m1, and set on p212s).  Thoughts?  I also had the wiring goofy on the p212s, so I have since wired it exactly as I have done on my m1xin.

Do you have the keypads wired up with 6 wires?  All devices that plug into the DBH should use a 6 wire connection.

RAL said:
Do you have the keypads wired up with 6 wires?  All devices that plug into the DBH should use a 6 wire connection.

Thats a great question - I'm going to have to check the connections after work.  I installed my keypads >1yr ago 

before checking my keypads, I went to the m1 and disconnected the 4-wire direct connection.  Instead of using this, I switched back to the dbh and made sure the jumpers were all correct.  I literally did nothing else other than power it back on and then re-enroll devices.  Bam, all devices are now recognized!  I've tried jiggling connections around and such since and haven't been able to get the ELK to not recognize my devices, it doesn't seem that it's a wonky crimp.  It's a little bit of a mystery to me, but I have read on other places on the forums that people have had to switch to the 4-wire to get a device enrolled, then switch back and they're fine, so maybe that's what's happening.

Back