• You've been granted Beta access to this site, allowing you to explore some of the new features while they're still under construction. More information can be found in the Beta forum.

MCE Machine with Celeron

Mike

I've been going back and forth on xbox extenders and the like. New you can get a Forza package for about $179 and then add the MCE extension for $29, or you can buy on ebay and probably get one for around $110 or so plus $29 for the MCE extension.

I was wondering, what about building a cheap Celeron PC as an MCE machine? I have not finished but it seemed like I could put one together for somewhere around $400 (granted more than the above). But I would get the best of everything (all mce pvr functions, shared video off the main system, and a pc for browsing).

If the output was converted to component and shared I then have PC access distributed through the house as well (just adding the one for me would cover me, but the concept could be repeated if needed).

Any issue with a celeron based machine for non living room viewing? I see plently of MCE machines being sold like this. I have to finish the parts list, but was curious what people thought of this.