Missing UPB parts

gengen

I'm seriously considering installing a UPB system as part of a major remodel. Originally, I was looking at Lutron RadioRA2 but I really like the more open nature of UPB. For example, Lutron switches use non-standard wall-plates and I'm thinking of ganing light switches with other A/V touchpads that use a standard Decora-style form-factor.

One major missing piece, for me at least, is the lack of any viable room occupancy/vacancy sensors which communicate over UPB. I know that PCS has one but since its solar powered, it is huge and downright ugly to put in important rooms of the house.

I was looking at something much smaller like an X10 PMS03 with a WGL UPB572 X10 RF to UPB transceiver. However, the UPB572 seems to be discontinued. Why?

Does anyone have a good solution for UPB occupancey sensors?

Thanks

There are a few UPB to XXX converters; specifically the UPB to X10 as you've noticed, and UPB to EnOcean I know for sure; and I'd be willing to bet there's a way to go UPB to Z-Wave - maybe even with a RUC?

I'm using a W800RF32 through my HA server to handle a couple X10RF motion and remote sensors; also use door contacts and security motions via the Elk to affect lighting.

You could hook something like a SensorSwitch CM PDT-9-R into a SimplyAutomated IO module to send links to activate and deactivate. The IO module has two channels for relay inputs.

SensorSwitch also have a line voltage version.
The CMR PDT-9. It doesn't have a relay option so you'd have to hook up an isolated dry contact relay to the output.

Just to provide some useful information, I receiced this reply from Warren Lohoff from WGL Designs regarding the UPB572:

----
Subject: RE: UPB572

We also thought that there was a real need for this item, but unfortunately our distributors did not agree and as a result do not stock it. I will have to admit it is a very slow mover, but we still offer it direct from our website.

Warren

------

Subject: UPB572

Hello,

I’m considering setting up a UPB-based home lighting system. However, I see one glaring hole – the lack of a good PIR occupancy/vacancy sensor. The best idea I could find is to use an X10 PMS03 sensor along with your UPB572 X10 to UPB transceiver. However, none of your U.S. distributors seem to carry this item anymore. Is there a reason that this product is no longer available and is there a good alternative?

Thanks

If you are using a security panel like the HAI or Elk, or even a DSC with PC automation software, standard motion PIRs could be used. Of course you would need to keep track of occupancy with some programming since the motion PIRs don't latch.

Back