• You've been granted Beta access to this site, allowing you to explore some of the new features while they're still under construction. More information can be found in the Beta forum.

Monocle Amazon Alexa Gateway Service

pete_c

Guru
Monocle is a gateway service that enables seamless integration of your private IP-based network cameras with smart home automation services such as Amazon Alexa®.

Note: Endeavor here started by purchasing a Ring doorbell and a Smarthome IP camera. Noticed that both of these devices are dependant on a cloud connection to work and do not allow integration with legacy style NVRs / CCTV. Here started to move towards IP HD H.264 cameras a few years back. Many of these cameras did also do first generation ONVIF. Recently purchased a new IPHD 4 Megapixel camera board. The camera is a combo ONVIF H.264, audio, multiple stream, JPG snapshot and smart cam. I am very impressed. Same MFG also makes 20 megapixel cameras for facial recognition options. That and found a "doorbell" video camera which has the same features.

This post only relates to using a new (and will test old H.264 IP cams) camera board with Monocle and Alexa Show.
The gateway service must be running 24/7 and can be installed on Windows, Linux (Arm, Intel, AMD) and iOS.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1218]

1 - create an account at hxxps://portal.monoclecam.com/

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1220]

2 - configure your camera.  Use your VLC H264 link for configuration.  Give it any name you want.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1219]

3 - read this:  hxxps://monoclecam.com/start

4 - install hxxps://monoclecam.com/monocle-gateway

5 - I had to make an adjustment to PFSense relating to DNS.

6 - now I can ask Alexa to show test or test 2 cams.