Motion Sensor and outdoor lights

deranged

Well I finally settled on an outdoor motion sensor that so far ignores the herd of small animals in my area.

I have it connected to my ocelot, and I want it to trigger my outdoor side lights. They are all on one switch, I am considering using a solid state relay connected to the ocelot to control the lights. I don't want it controlled through HS.

My question is, how do you normally deal with low voltage and high voltage in the same box ?
Is it okay, do I need a seperate box from the wall switch ( it's in the garage so thats not a big deal )?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

StevenE

I was trying to avoid using an actual relay, since the clicking sound would annoy me when I am working in the garage. I already have some solid state relays rated at 25 amps around. I was just worried about having the low voltage and high voltage in the same box.

the RIB Looks interesting though....

Steven

Had to run before, didn't get to finish my post.....

I decided on the CROW D&D sensor I found for $72.00 here:

http://www.spytown.com/d-d--dare-devil-.html

It's Large, 5 1/2 inches tall by 3 1/2 wide and 2 inches deep( rounded ).

Has Tamper, N/O and N/C contacts. It also has a memory latch function.

You can find the specs here at crow electric the manufacturer.

http://www.crowelec.com/product_detail.asp?param=93

I have had it installed for about 9 days, I set HS to speak through the whole house audio anytime motion was detected in the driveway. So far so good, no false triggers yet :). It also seems to work well detecting my kids 8 and 12 and my neighbors 5 year old and he was happy to help with the testing too......

Certainly better than the motion sensor that was on the lights.

StevenE

deranged said:
I was trying to avoid using an actual relay, since the clicking sound would annoy me when I am working in the garage. I already have some solid state relays rated at 25 amps around. I was just worried about having the low voltage and high voltage in the same box.

the RIB Looks interesting though....

Steven
I know there are codes dealing with low voltage and high voltage in the same box, I just don't know what they are and how to deal with it. I used to work on 200 to 400 amp computer controlled machines, so I am fine with wiring everything. But I am sure home wiring codes are a bit different, and I have seen others mention that it is not usually allowed.

StevenE

It's allowed, but good luck trying to convince most residential inspectors of it. In some cases I advocate trying to work with the inspector, but in this one I don't as it's one of the thougher sells.

The gist of it is that the insulation on the LV wires must be rated at 600V or higher AND it must be for some type of control wire. No running speaker wire through the box even if it is rated for 600V. I know I have the actual NEC reference and wording at home, but I'm at the relatives for the holiday.

FWIW - In the UPB chat session a couple weeks ago - they mentioned a UPB motion sensing outdoor light will be coming (replace those crappy X10 ones). Since I'm a UPB user, that's my obvious choice, but thought others might be interested. Definite makes wiring a lot easier...

WayneW said:
StevenE,

Do you still like your Crow detector? Can you give any insight as to why you picked that unit over the Optex LX-402? Has anybody else tried the Optex or any other outdoor motion detectors?

http://www.spytown.com/oplxandlxser.html
Wayne,

I love the Crow D&D detectors, I purchased 3 of them and have not had 1 false trigger in the 2+ weeks they have been installed. A security installer we use at work had installed the Crow D&D at his own house, that pushed me in the direction of Crow.

My main problem was small animals constantly tripping the lights outside all night long with the old motion detectors. That was my main drive for buying new motion sensors. The cost of electricity alone in a couple of months will make up for the price of the sensors.

I currently have the Crow sensors set for "Harsh enviroment" and even with the extremely strong winds and heavy rain the other night there had not been any false triggers. 1 Sensor has a 20+ ft tall christmas tree about 20ft in front of it, and currently the tree has 2000+ lights on it. Even that swaying in the strong winds did not trip the Crow Sensor.

The WAF is down a bit, it seems the cars coming down the driveway tripped the old motion sensors. The Crow does not until you get out of the car.
:)
I just can't win them all.......

StevenE

Back