Moving HA from Ubuntu 20.04 to Oracle VB

pete_c

Guru
Been seeing unstable build of HA now for a couple of months running on Ubuntu 20.04.    

Built a new box recently and it updated fine a few times until yesterday.     

I also have current version of HS4 running on same Ubuntu Box and a Windows VB for SAPI speech. (total VBs ==> 2)  

It is currently running Supervisor and HACS.    

I was able to update it using the HA command line functions and it was a PITA.  I am still seeing unstable build.    

Today decided to use the posted HA VDI for VB to see how that works.   

Linux Home Assistant  

VDI Download.  

I see that it boots in to an HA OS. Linux - HomeAssistant    

I have two Gb NICs on micro computer so bridging second NIC for HA OS.  

Went to the web interface and see this:  

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1487]

Installed SSH / Terminal access and configuration for external SSH access.

Installation of HACS

| |  | |                          /\           (_)   | |            | |  
| |__| | ___  _ __ ___   ___     /  \   ___ ___ _ ___| |_ __ _ _ __ | |_ 
|  __  |/ _ \| '_ \ _ \ / _ \   / /\ \ / __/ __| / __| __/ _\ | '_ \| __|
| |  | | (_) | | | | | |  __/  / ____ \\__ \__ \ \__ \ || (_| | | | | |_ 
|_|  |_|\___/|_| |_| |_|\___| /_/    \_\___/___/_|___/\__\__,_|_| |_|\__|

Welcome to the Home Assistant command line.

System information
  IPv4 addresses for enp0s3: 192.168.244.249/25
  IPv6 addresses for enp0s3: 2601:xxx
  OS Version:               Home Assistant OS 6.2
  Home Assistant Core:      2021.9.3

Home Assistant URL:       http://homeassistant.local:8123
  Observer URL:             http://homeassistant.local:4357
~ $ wget -O - https://get.hacs.xyz | bash -

jkjljljl

roussell

Just run Supervised on Debian. I too fought it for the longest time; not because I had a problem with Debian, but because EVERYTHING I did was on Ubuntu. I didn’t want to run their all-in version on stripped Alpine Linux so I finally bit the bullet and reinstalled on the latest Debian. It’s been rock solid with absolutely zero problems since.

Terry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pete_c

Guru
Thank you Terry.

Will more than likely go the Debian way.  A full circle now as that is where I started a few years back running Linux on Arm CPUs.  (IE: Seagate Dockstar Irrigation controller).

This all started with last HomeAssistant update.  It did not work due to the Ubuntu OS issues.  I was able to repair it using the CLI interface.

Originally repaired on oldest running Home Assistant still on Ubuntu 18.04 with Homeseer 3 running.  Then fixed it on newer Homeassistant running on Ubuntu 20.04 with Homeseer 4.  I also have a 3rd instance running for house #2 on a Pine64 2Gb box running Armbian with a HA configuration script.  Same issue though on the Pine64 box (and SD RW issues which crop up sometimes).

That said I also went to installing the Oracle Virtual Box Homeassistant VDI which also works and makes HA more "portable" while concurrently running Homeseer 4.

I am definitely going to the Supervisor HA build as that is most stable and more than likely shut down the old Ubuntu builds of HA.

jon102034050

roussell said:
Just run Supervised on Debian. I too fought it for the longest time; not because I had a problem with Debian, but because EVERYTHING I did was on Ubuntu. I didn’t want to run their all-in version on stripped Alpine Linux so I finally bit the bullet and reinstalled on the latest Debian. It’s been rock solid with absolutely zero problems since. Terry Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^ this! I ran their supervised on ubuntu for a long time until they started warning that it was an "unsupported" OS, then I switched to debian and have had zero problems. 

pete_c

Guru
Here running HA / Supervised old on:

1 - Ubuntu Server 20.04 with 32Gb of RAM (newer CPU / motherboard).  It is running a broken Supervised HA and Homeseer 4 and Oracle Virtual box WIndows embedded used for Microsoft SAPI speech (5 instances 5 different speech fonts).  2U box with a mITX board (server style board)

* Built a new HA Supervised instance using HA posted VDI - it is working well - may rebuild box from scratch.  Homeseer is just a directory.  VB is just an image.

2 - new Mini PC box - Jetway micro with 8 Gb of RAM - 2 NICs and WLAN interface - installed Ubuntu 20.04 base, Homeseer 4, HA / Supervisor (with errors), Oracle VB with now a 2 Gb Windows embedded instance and new 2 Gb HA supervised instance.  Again here Homeseer is just a directory and VBs are easy to move around.

Base HA install manages the OmniPro 2 panel and Ring alarm in house #2 (cloud).  HA house #2 only has HA Ring monitoring enabled.

As of current time here now have 4 instances of HA running - 2 old production on Ubuntu 20.04 and 2 new (VBs) on two boxes (house #1) and 1 old HA Supervised with errors on a Pine64 2Gb computer running Armbian.   (running Supervisor and HACS).  All of this because I am running HS4 and HA on the same machine. Mosquitto broker is still running on an older Ubuntu server. Going switch to running MQTT on new HA VB.

Ubuntu 20.04

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1491]

Ubuntu 20.04  HA Virtual Box image

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1490]

pete_c

Guru
Found this here:

If you install Home Assistant supervised on something different than Debian you will see this unsupported installation label.

Don’t worry too much about that label. I’m having my production / main Home Assistant installed that way with the same label for over a year now and I can assure you that nothing bad happened.

Of course, if you wish you can install Home Assistant Supervised on Debian with exact the same commands as I will use below and you won’t have that unsupported label. The choice is yours.