Multizone audio receiver or matrix with IP/RS232 control

tadr

I currently have 7 sources (with the potential for more) and 8 zones (with the potential for 3-4 more) with a dual Niles ZR-6 system with wall keypads. The ZR-6 is unfortunately limited to 5 sources (plus the built-in FM radio), even when you daisy chain two units together (I thought daisy-chaining two units would double the source inputs, but in actuality you just Y-connect each source to both ZR-6 units)

I am in the process of developing software for android that will run on wall-mounted tablets that will communicate with a central server, so I will no longer need wall keypads. All control of the system will be between my server and custom software and the new audio receiver (via either serial or IP control).

So, I need a new audio receiver/matrix with the following:
1. At least 8 sources
2. At least 10 zones
3. Preferably no amplifier
4. Paging input (for my doorbell system)
5. full IP or serial (RS232) control
6. discrete IR for volume control (per zone) with Xantech-compatible IR input

What I've found so far:
1. HTD MC-66 Multi-zone controller (http://www.htd.com/P...Zone-Controller)
Pros: Price ($399!), Could link two together to get 12 zones
Cons: Only 6 sources
2. Audio Authority ADX-1616 (http://www.audioauth...etails/ADX-1616)
Pros: Plenty of sources and zones
Cons: Price ($1500 on ebay), No paging input

Before I bite the bullet on the Audio Authority ADX-1616 (and figure out some kludge to get paging to work), I wanted to see if anyone else knows of any other options they could recommend.

I did a comparison of a lot of the different models years ago when I was looking into a whole house distribution system. http://www.avsforum....cts-with-rs-232

Even though it is years old, I suspect much of the equipment is still available or has been replaced by similar models. At least it will give you a decent start to compare models.

I will say that I went with the B&K CT series for my equipment. It has up to 9 sources and you can daisy chain units together to expand the number of zones. The keypads are fairly ugly, but like you I don't use them in my set up. You can get used units on EBay for perhaps $500 or less now. In fact, I believe there is a multi unit set on auction right now (the price is probably a little high, but it does come with a lot of equipment - 3 units, keypads, and extra stuff too).

Have you researched Extron, Zektor, and Crestron?

I wonder if some video component matrix switchers would also fit the bill, and cheap on eBay, with component disappearing.

A used component video switch, that also switches audio, may be cheaper than a dedicated audio matrix.

Thanks, all. I looked through some of the options listed above and came across one that appears to fit the bill perfectly: Zektor Clarity Audio 16x16. The icing on the cake is that it does Digital to analog conversion (and vice versa), which would let me eliminate my three outboard dolby digital decoders.

However, I can't figure out how to buy this thing! Does anyone know of any dealers?? It looks like Zektor stopped selling through online dealers and I don't see any info about local dealers.

Call Jeff at Zektor, ask him how to buy it.

Does it have paging? I didn't see it listed when I looked (albeit briefly).

I've read very good things about Zektor's support, in online forums.

Call Jeff at Zektor, ask him how to buy it.

Does it have paging? I didn't see it listed when I looked (albeit briefly).

I've read very good things about Zektor's support, in online forums.

The spec sheet says it has a "doorbell input" - I'm not sure if this means muting or paging - hopefully paging.

I, too, have read good things about Zektor support. I'll give them a ring on Monday. To clarify - I am an enthusiastic DIY homeowner (computer engineer) but not an integrator/business - any idea if they'll sell to me?

Also, does anyone know where I can find the manual for the Zektor Clarity Audio 16x16? They don't appear to have the manuals available on their site.

The doorbell input could be used, probably, to switch all zones to an audio input from anything, i.e. page input.

I don't know how difficult it will be to program. Seems like RTI, Savant, Crestron, etc have drivers for it. I see integration protocols for other Zektor products, so I don't think that's an issue.

Looks like a nice piece of hardware.

Hmm, if you think ADX-1616 is expensive at $1500 then you may get a sticker shock for Zektor, it's an audiophile quality equipment.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ZektorInc/status/198064097680564224

That's dated, and pre-release, not sure of actual price.

Something more official:

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-custom/thread.cgi?29627

Base price of $1600 MSRP.

Hmm, if you think ADX-1616 is expensive at $1500 then you may get a sticker shock for Zektor, it's an audiophile quality equipment.

I just meant expensive relative to the other options I'd found so far.

Alas, I discovered today that the Zektor doesn't actually downmix dolby digital inputs to it's analog outputs... big disappointment. I was hoping to get rid of all my external digital to analog decoders.

I still might go for the Zektor, but I'm a bit disappointed that it can't downmix.

Still.a noob here...the 2-channel audio can be decoded to provide 5.1? What device, other than an AVR, does this?

Still.a noob here...the 2-channel audio can be decoded to provide 5.1? What device, other than an AVR, does this?

No, the other way around. Many devices output encoded surround sound signals, like Dolby Digital or THX, over their digital outputs. I have several devices that only have digital outputs. In order to get them into my home audio system, I use external digital to analog decoders that "downmix" the signal from, for example, 5 channels to 2 channels (left and right). It's not as easy as just taking the left and right channels, because much of the vocals come out of the center channel so the center has to be mixed in with the left and right, etc. I was hoping I could get rid of these external decoders if I used the Zektor, but it looks like I can't.

Regardless, I'd still like to have digital switching so the Zektor is still in the running... just waiting for price information from the contact Jeff sent me over the weekend.

Thanks for explaining. I see a lot of ads for external DACs - would you want them integrated, or is DAC quality an issue?

Back