• You've been granted Beta access to this site, allowing you to explore some of the new features while they're still under construction. More information can be found in the Beta forum.

my carPC project

electron

Administrator
Staff member
Just an update, I finished installing the carpc tonight (about time), and everything works great so far. Homeseer can start my car in the morning, which boots up the PC automatically, and activate the wireless connection, which then allows my software to update files/music, etc. using FTP. GPS is working as well, the only major issue I have to resolve is the audio (my FM transmitter died).

If I can figure out how to deal with the vacuum properties of my HVAC, I will also install an Ocelot in my car, to control HVAC, Trunk, and other accessories.

Next step: road test, let's see how it survives the potholes created by our snowplows (they are pretty bad).

electron

Administrator
Staff member
Pictures will be coming soon, still trying to organize things (clean up wiring, etc.) and working on the interface.

Btw, does it matter if a GPS mouse is upside down?

rocco

I have a DeLorme Earthmate USB, and it works in any orientation. However, since the bottom of the housing is much thicker than the top, a wonder if the sensitivity decreases when it is upside down.

smee

If the base has a magnet in it (which many do - mine is stuck to the refrigerator right now), will that affect reception?

Where are you putting the mouse, anyway?

rocco

smee said:
mine is stuck to the refrigerator right now), will that affect reception?
Smee, I don't think it will affect reception unless it is INSIDE the refrigerator. ;)

electron

Administrator
Staff member
I put it in the passenger side corner on top of my dash, all the way against the window. It fits nice there, but I would rather have it centered, since the GPS seems to be that sensitive. I have no idea on how to mount this on the roof without drilling holes, so that's about as crazy as I will go when it comes to securing this unit ;)

Micah

man, I'm so jealous. I've been wanting to build a Carputer for years now but don't have a vehicle to do it to.

It's good to hear your setup has worked out so well.

jwilson56

I hope all your wires are safe from shorting. I doubt your insurrance will cover your car buring down to the ground adding that.

Cool though....

John

electron

Administrator
Staff member
I used a heavy duty amp kit to run the wiring, so it should be safe. I also have fuses everywhere, even the powersupply has a fuse.

jwilson56

Well not all shorts will blow the fuse but will still start a fire.... just trying to be helpful.

John

electron

Administrator
Staff member
update:

I've been driving around for a few days now, no problems when hitting big potholes or railroad tracks, the 3.5" HD is just fine so far. I wired my monitor directly to my powersupply so the 12V is regulated (and more stable). I also installed a nice microphone (have had it laying around for years) behind my steering wheel, and will be implementing voice recognition using Girder.

I also played with my GPS, huge WAF! I also tested the address book today since I was going to a restaurant, but didn't know the street name, so I did a simple search by name, selected it, and it automatically plotted the route. It also automatically updates the route if you take a wrong turn, and uses voice announcements to let you know when you have to take a turn (announces it several miles ahead, and several hundred feet as well). Really cool stuff!

Next step is setting up NetRemote and Girder, and try to get a working interface, but I have some other priorities right now, so that won't be happening for another few weeks.