(6) lighting circuits total
(7) spaces in use
(8) poles of contactors humming
(9) spade connectors
(10) extra amps for my pool stuff
(11) neutrals neutrals tied together
(12) in use relays

<forgot the tag>
and a project box mounted in the ceiling....

I had been debating / toying with for a while... Finally getting it done. I've got the outlets up front all done and running.No zwave control for any of this - I only want the chrstmas lights on at night so timed automation is enough and the distance to the outbuilding would have required something else anyway. I can kick on one circuit when needed around the yard on sporatic basis from elk keypad or the webbrowser. So i go from the breakers into a 12x12 project box in the ceiling in which i have 4 double pole contactors mounted... Contactors are 24VAC coils which are fed via the elk m1RB1 relays which are connected to the Elk transformer. One is for later pool use, the other three for controlling the outlets/etc (use one pole for each circuit). Right now all are outdoor, but i will be using one pole for a non-gfi load to an interior mounted low voltage landscape lighting transformer w/o a timer. All my runs from the box are single stranded 10AWG (due to the length / voltage drop) in 3/4" conduit. I dropped two conduit runs to all locations as one will serve as LV wiring for landscape lighting soon.

Still to do as of today (hopefully done this weekend):
1) bury some posts and hook up two of the outdoor boxes (gets me the other two circuits)
2) replace my soffit floodlights with outlets...
3) something similar for my shop so i can have roof line lights on it as well (not nearly as invasive as all i have to do is tie onto eixsting lighting circuit).

and after christmas:
4) bury even more conduit/posts/wire to get me even more remote areas
5) hook up the pool pump to the 4th contactor in the house
6) hook up my air compressor to another contactor in the shop
7) hook up my dust collector to another contactor in the shop
8) add low voltage buttons to control the latter

Pros
1) saved on zwave expense for dimmers/switches to control 120V contactors
2) avoided vizia's 15A max switch limitation
3) GFIs are inside (well garage) so if they trip, easy to reset
4) high WAF factor so far

Cons
1) these are pretty cheap definate purpose contactors and they hum! (but they're i the garage so no big deal)
2) gfi breakers are pricey!
3) gfi breakers take up a full space
4) i would already like to get a fifth gfi for an additional circuit...
5) double pole contactors limit your flexibility since the coil controls both at same time. Wouldn't want to mix an outlet used in the daytime with a lighting circuit only for night. I basically have 2 poles for sporatic use and 4 for night/lighting intended use (at least at christmas time)

pictures coming soon if interested...

thx
-brad

Back