Need Security Cam sugestions

dbinaz

I need some camers for my new house. Outdoor. Want a decent picture. Has to be BNC. Under $150ea would be nice.

Anyone have any suggestions?

D

I would be interested to hear of lesser expensive options as well. I would like to install 3 or 4 cameras around the house, but don't want to spend a fortune. Also, what capture cards are you all using? Whatever I choose, I would like to integrate with HS and MainLobby.

PiperPilot

I actually think it might be the same, the specs look identical, but the one CCTV I have that isn't mounted isn't currently where I can read the model #. I can check later.

I have the kodicom clone card off eBay.

If you want quailty stuff let me know but I can't help you and put my name on it for that. Make it ~$150/camera and B/W and I have a pretty sweet residential setup I've used in the past. Works 24/7 and will p0wn that IR bullet posted above.

There are some basics you need to undertstand, most IR bullets are not true day/night cameras (digital day/night) and as such when they go to B/W mode at night all they are really doing is digitally killing the color saturation and stepping up the brightness. They work ~okay~ at best indoors where the IR has lots of stuff to bounce off of but when placed outside they are far inferior to a quality BW camera and a seperate illuminator. If you really really want color you'll need a true day/night camera and those don't come in that price range at all. I can do those untested but with good specs for ~$260 per cam with no illuminator backing it up.

Also you can't trustthe specs from many of the manufacturers, most are full of $h!t. If it's Panasonic, Bosche or GE then they will do what they say they do.

I have been experimenting with cameras for a while know. In fact I'm just getting ready to sell some since I decide on one.

Channel Plus 7430 - color IR- Brand new hooked it up for 1 day. Nice little camera. Good picture and night vision.

Ebay camera-420lines 30ir lights- Used for about 6 months. Nice picture and nght vision.-- I have another one of these I'm keeping that shoots my front door.

Channel Plus 7111C B&W- Brand new hooked up for 1 day.Nice camera and picture. Fits in a dual gang box. Wide angle.

Channel Plus H722 and H721-B&W cameras that run off of cat5. They require a special modulator on the other end to work. Nice cameras again. Not as good as the ones above. They fit in a single and double gang box. Very neat cameras for applications that need a clean look or a single cat5 cable is already there. Wide angle.

ebay camera- Cmos 380lines 30irlights-color-Poor picture compared to any of the above.

Wireless color mini nanny cam. Better picture than I thought it would have. Poor compared to the nicer cameras above but could fit in alot places those couldn't. no night vision at all.

I just bought some 7410 B&W channel plus cameras and liked them the best for my situation. I bought a bunch and I'm just waiting for my cables to arrive. I liked the wide angle lense and small size for my locations. I do miss the color picture during the day but the B&W cameras at night need very little light to produce a nice clear picture compared to the color ir cameras.

I can email you captures of any of these if you want. I have a cheap tuner card right now and it doesn't capture the picture as good as it looks on my tv but it would give you an idea.

Attachments

• cam.jpg
    cam.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 30
68sting said:
I do miss the color picture during the day but the B&W cameras at night need very little light to produce a nice clear picture compared to the color ir cameras.
If you deside you miss them enough to upgrade let me know, I can get you color cams that will still kick butt after dark too.

Also those cams are really junk though, it's a big step up when you go to pro grade name brand parts.

68sting, I'm a little confused with your post above. Your "selling" these cameras? Are you a vendor or private party?

Thanks,

BSR

I took his post as someone who has bought several diffferent cameras until he has found the right one for his situation. Sounded like he is just trying to unload the cameras he decided not to keep. I think we can all relate to that situation :)

I'm a private party. I've just been buying cameras off ebay here and there trying to figure out what I wanted to do. I have 11 cameras going now.

I'm sure there's better cameras out there but what kind of money are we talking about. Whether its cameras, speakers, amps, ect. the law of diminishing return usually kicks in and you have to make a realistic decision. I got the 7410B off eBay for $15.99 +8.99 shipping. I think for the money the picture is very good. I also like the size of these. I would imagine to get pro quality in a .91" W x 1.125" H x 3.94" D would be very expensive. Don't get me wrong I would love to have the pro stuff it just doesn't make sense when these do what I want.

68sting said:
I'm a private party. I've just been buying cameras off ebay here and there trying to figure out what I wanted to do. I have 11 cameras going now.

I'm sure there's better cameras out there but what kind of money are we talking about. Whether its cameras, speakers, amps, ect. the law of diminishing return usually kicks in and you have to make a realistic decision. I got the 7410B off eBay for $15.99 +8.99 shipping. I think for the money the picture is very good. I also like the size of these. I would imagine to get pro quality in a .91" W x 1.125" H x 3.94" D would be very expensive. Don't get me wrong I would love to have the pro stuff it just doesn't make sense when these do what I want.
ah, gotcha. You would be an excellent source for camera features/recommendations then.

64Sting,

Those 7410B cameras that you mention. I can't find any reference to them on Ebay. Do you have an example link? Even a sold link is fine...I wanna see what you are talking about. I had my car broken into a few weeks ago, right in the driveway...so now I have Wife Approval to install some cameras with motion activated recording. I want to do it inexpensively to start. I will run decent cable so I can upgrade the cameras if I desire better picture in the future....

aaahhhh....stop the madness....too many projects....

Thanks for the info!

PiperPilot

Here's the item number. 250057324230 I hate to even post this picture. I have a temporary cheap 160ft cable slamed between the door and jam hooked up to this camera. And the picture was captured with my $20 tuner card. It will give you an idea though. I set up a motioned based event though Homeseer to take snap shots, turn the lights on to 70%, anounce front motion dectected, and send me an email. It worked great but my motion detector is false alarming all the time. I need to try another motion I guess.

Attachments

• cap00027.jpg
    cap00027.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 32
Back