New addition to my home security system.

CollinR

Here she is, Heidi. A now 9 week old American style German Shepard.

Heidi-8weeks.jpg

Of course Max is still kicking. He is not thrilled with Heidi but he hasn't eaten her either. :D At least she has quit tring to nurse from him.

Max.jpg

For those that don't know Max, thats a regulation basketball he claimed and popped. Now his favorite toy. :lol:

Heidi is coming along fast in the first week we have gotten sit and lay down, down. Stay, heel and housetraining quickly coming along.

I don't have the specs but dogs are like a milllion times more accurate at detecting fire then a photoelectric smoke detector and almost as good as exterior motions.

Not to mention the deterrent factor of a 130lb agressive acting dog.

I second the deterrent factor. Any dog, but especially a large breed (and even more so a dog like a German Sheppard) works better than a security system IMHO against the random break in. Of course the dog must be home to be of any use (not help during vacations, etc).

Most intruders are going to stop at the first sign of a dog if it is a random break in. If you have been cased and chosen for a reason, then a dog won't be much help.

This is probably a good thing anyway since having a large breed dog in the house usually means you cannot use motion detectors.

If you are the type that believes everything you see on TV, then the show "It takes a Thief" shows that dogs are useless as a defense in an empty house. They may work as a deterrent, but none of the many episodes I have watched showed the dogs the least bit worried, agitated or aggressive about John the burglar.

I recently obtained one of those too, though not known to be a ferocious breed :lol: (Collie for my son). Here is a pic, though it's three months old.

Hey, maybe this thread could be the alternative of that now infamous cat post! :D

Attachments

• ears.jpg
    ears.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 8
WayneW said:
If you are the type that believes everything you see on TV, then the show "It takes a Thief" shows that dogs are useless as a defense in an empty house. They may work as a deterrent, but none of the many episodes I have watched showed the dogs the least bit worried, agitated or aggressive about John the burglar.
I think that is a bit unfair.

Sure dogs can be circumvented, but thieves go for the easiest targets of opportunity.

If they were to choose between a house with a dog or one without, they'd go for one without the dog, just because of the possibility of the dog alerting others.

Nothing is full proof. Nothing can prevent a crook if he's determined, but things like a dog lessens the chance that a casual crook will break in.

The local police once referred to my 100+ lb Black Labrador Retriever as the "vicious attack lab" after a small hardly worth mentioning incident with the FedEx guy. :lol:

The joke now is that Ozzie has a police record.

We definitely consider him an important part of our security system.

technerd said:
WayneW said:
I think that is a bit unfair.

Sure dogs can be circumvented, but thieves go for the easiest targets of opportunity.

If they were to choose between a house with a dog or one without, they'd go for one without the dog, just because of the possibility of the dog alerting others.

Nothing is full proof. Nothing can prevent a crook if he's determined, but things like a dog lessens the chance that a casual crook will break in.
A bit unfair?

How about totally unrealistic, I can assure you those animials were inspected by professionals before the family is approved to be on that show.

If you apply to be on that show and say your current security consists of only 3 ckk9 IVs you will be denied. Thats just crazy to put a human into that situation intentionally.

I mean the statistical population is 100% people who are willing to get burglarized for compensation??? Thats not a true representative of anything aside from what a burglary looks like when it's happening.

It becomes an issue when someone targets you specifically for something they know you have. Just randomly cruising a burglar will pick the easiest target available. Two identical houses one with a GS/Rot/DP whatever and the other empty... Only a fool would pick the one with the dog (unless they wanted to steal it too! :lol: ).

If you get targeted few will have systems to actually deter/prevent. Think about it a few minutes on the internet and a couple hundred bucks and you can compromise any residential system in minutes.

Quite a bit of my home security goals are simply to make another house an easier target.

Here is some stats from the real world, produced by Temple University. They don't specifically mention dogs but some things they do mention are interesting and imply some things.

Alarm signs reduce burglaries, common belief...

"Simon Hakem said:
Homes without security systems are about 3 times more likely to be broken into than homes with security systems. (Actual statistic ranges from 2.2 times to 3.1 times, depending on the value of the home.) Businesses without alarm systems are 4.5 times more likely to be burglarized than commercial locations with electronic security in place. Losses due to burglary average $400 less in residences with security systems than for a residence without security systems.

Looks accurate enough.

"Simon Hakem said:
A study in Connecticut showed that 12 percent of burglaries occurred through an UNLOCKED door and that in 41 percent of alarmed homes that were burglarized, the security system was not turned on.

Intersting, looks to me like even though burglars know that almost half of the homes that actually have alarms aren't armed anyway yet still will choose a home with no alarm at all 3:1.

I wonder if burglars that think most dogs are passive change that trend and not consider a dog an issue. When there are neighbors without dogs.

"BraveSirRobin" said:
I recently obtained one of those too, though not known to be a ferocious breed  :D  (Collie for my son).  Here is a pic, though it's three months old.

Hey, maybe this thread could be the alternative of that now infamous cat post;)

All dogs if given the chance will try to defend their pack and their den. Dogs aren't normally trained in how to properly do this as so they often fail miserably. However the burglars don't know that with confidence, any breed capable of injury or death to a human is a concern to a burglar.

Irregaurdless of the burglary aspect I can all but promise you if you have a house fire your Collie will be the first to know and the first to react. Many many will testify to this, dogs know fire instictively. You need not train them to elude it.

nsisman said:
How would you like to be met by this at the door ?

9 lbs - 13 years old and fierce as ever ! Only three teeth left now !

IMAG0004-1.jpg

Does she bark at people who have yet to knock / ring the bell?

Thats enough notice in TX. :lol:

See fire protection above. :D

That is a good point about the fire detection aspect!

I remember reading a couple of posts either here or HS land where their dogs were "trained" by the voice announcements. When someone arrived home, or other announcements messages (someone at the front door, etc...) and it was announced via the voice announcemets, the dogs went crazy! :lol:

Collin,

Yes she hears people before they hit the porch and she recognizes the wife's car before it ever hits the driveway.

She also barks at all doorbells whether it is HomeSeer, on TV or the real one.

When she was younger she alerted us to some 2am attempted car break-ins.
They got the car one either side of us but left us alone.

Unfortunately she's getting blind now and won't go down the stairs without help.

I would never be without a dog (3 pugs and this Yorkie over the years).

Next one will be a rescued pound dog - as long as it's a small one !

Neil

DOGS ARE WORTHLESS unless you are home. You are under a false sense of security unless you own a pit/rot that has been trained to fight, and if that is the case, shame on you.

I would walk in your house and steal your dog along with everything else. That or I would stun or beat your dog down. Now your little buddy is only another source of sadness for you when you come home.

You think your neighbors are concerned about your property when your dog barks? When my neighbor's dogs bark (7 of them surrounding my back yard) I just think how much I hate them all (dogs and neighbors =) and whether I should order another Bark Stopper (I have 2 already).

Ok, so hate me and buy an alarm panel and take that responsibility off of your dog. your dog is dumb and can not match wits with an intruder. It takes a Thief is very accurate, and Cesar Millon will show you the same thing: "There is no dog too tough". It Takes a Thief has not robbed a house with a killer pit, but that is because you should not have a killer pit! they are not going after passive dogs... It is a realistic sampling of the dogs people own.

Something else to consider is on It Takes a Thief, they can not hurt the pets, where a real thief would gladly bash your pets head in, stun it, mace it, etc. So there maybe tougher dogs than are on the show, but there are tougher thieves too. Your dog only wants to be loved, he does deserve to carry the burden of protecting your trinkets from evil thieves....

Now don't bash on me for hating dogs, I am an amature trainer for 20 years and love dogs. they are for petting and to make you feel loved and maybe let you know someone is at the door. They are not for home defense, that will only get your loved pet hurt, stolen, lost or killed.

Vaughn

ver0776 said:
Ok, so hate me and buy an alarm panel and take that responsibility off of your dog. your dog is dumb and can not match wits with an intruder. It takes a Thief is very accurate, and Cesar Millon will show you the same thing: "There is no dog too tough". It Takes a Thief has not robbed a house with a killer pit, but that is because you should not have a killer pit! they are not going after passive dogs... It is a realistic sampling of the dogs people own.
I don't hate people for opinions different to mine, I actually think vCrib is an awesome creation. I don't have to agree with you either though.

Using TV shows as logical reasoning I do question.

But I guess I can play along some, I don't think arguing on the internet has much promise but the logic here is so funny to hear.

Granted I do make my living in residential security, I'm totally aware of the issues you discribe. I also agree the reality is most dogs are totally passive and they should be.

I also TOTALLY agree about the uncontrollable fighting style dogs discribed, you shouldn't have those...period.

Why not the show Masterminds?

In that show the actual crimes took place in the past, the TV production was totally uninvolved. The data shown is also called evidence rather then fiction... As such it is a rather real dipiction of reality. Also keep in mind it's called Masterminds not crackheads captial (2 meanings :lol: ), anyway it's actually based on fact.

Also maybe you saw the Mythbusters episode on gaurd dogs?

They admitted the faults they found would probably be trained into the dogs quickly. That was probably a good example of the normal gaurd dog, not too good. Many however are trained much better then that one... The can sniff drugs and explosive, they can also sniff poison. For Max it's vem si??? which I understand is czech for eat. Obviously that dog wasn't trained for potential poisoning.

It is a realistic sampling of the dogs people own.

What we are inreality tring to discuss is more like.

It is a realistic sampling of the targeting of burglars, are dogs considered or not.

As I mentioned before two identical targets 1 with dog 1 without. You would choose to risk the dog I would take the easy target. I also think most burglars would do the same.

Back