New automation software ready for beta testing

johnnynine

I've been using the home automation software I created for several months now and thought it was time to release a beta to the public.

I originally wrote it to link my Vizia RF devices and Elk M1 systems together but it has grown quite a bit since then into a fully distributed network automation system with a graphical user interface viewer.

Here is a list of current drivers:
  • Generic Serial
  • Elk M1/M1 Gold (Serial & TCP/IP)
  • Vizia RF/Z-Wave
  • Date/Time Events
  • Timers
  • Global Variables
  • Weather
  • X10 MR26A receiver
  • X10 CM17A Firecracker transmitter
  • Desktop
  • USB-UIRT (in development)
  • NetCallerID
  • Caller ID Modem (with Contact support)
The X10 and NetCallerID drivers are untested. I would be very appreciative if someone with those devices could give them a try.

There currently is no simple tool to configure the devices and rules so I would be happy to configure anyones system for them. Those of you with some some technical knowledge of xml and programming languages shouldn't have any problem. There is a user friendly graphical user interface designer which does work but the interface viewer needs a few performance enhancements before I would consider using it full time.

The Generic Serial Driver can be used to control most serial devices that do not currently have a driver. This however does require writing some scripting code for those techies out there and I'd be happy to add drivers for any popular devices.

If you have any questions or would like any help with the configuration please let me know. You can use the support forum at http://johnnynine.com/forum

For more information, documentation and the download, please visit johnnynine.com

Previous alpha testing thread here.

Thanks,
Johnny

Version 0.4 is now available here.

This version includes the following enhancements:
  • Added Generic Network Driver.
    This allows drivers to be written using the scripting language for devices connected to a TCP/IP network.
  • Added NOAA Weather Driver.
    The Weather Channel is imposing some restrictions on the use of their service, so the NOAA driver has been added as an alternative.
  • Added FTP Driver.
    This allows transferring of files using FTP. (Such as backing up video capture files off site.)
  • Added File System Driver.
    This allows copying/ moving and deleting files.
  • Enhanced Script Tester window.
  • Added Null Literal Type object to the Scripting Language.
I'm hoping to have the web server completed soon.

Regards,
Johnny

Quick question....

What was your motivation for creating your own automation software? Was there a need not being meet by the various offerings on the market?

Thanks.

Quick question....

What was your motivation for creating your own automation software? Was there a need not being meet by the various offerings on the market?

Thanks.

Yes, I wanted to control Vizia RF devices (with 2-way communication) via an Elk M1 which at the time neither Elk nor the HA software package I purchased supported Vizia RF -- however I believe both now support it to some degree. I had created Lumen Link as well as a .NET library for controlling Vizia RF and ZWave devices which fit the driver plug-in model well, so I went ahead and created the automation engine. Additionally I am proficient in the C# programming language so I created a scripting language that for the most part is syntactically the same which makes scripting automation commands easier for me.

This software works quite well for my needs so I continue to use it and since I find it it fairly simple to add new drivers I'd be happy to add others if anyone else is interested in using it.

The major back-end piece that I think is missing is the web server which should be completed fairly soon (hopefully within 3 weeks).

As I mentioned, there is is no front-end user friendly configuration piece at this time, so you need a little xml and scripting experience to configure it. However I'd be happy to be of help.

Johnny

Here's a sneak peak at the new Device Information window that will be included soon in the next release.

I'll add an events section in a later release but this should help some of you for now.
I went ahead and added a grid showing the rules for the selected device - although the screenshot here does not show it.

The upcoming release will include:
  • Device Information window (with device property editor)
  • Built-in web server
  • j9sp web page support (similar to ASP/JSP)
  • SqueezeCenter driver for SqueezeBox support.
Thanks,
Johnny

Attachments

• DeviceInformation.png
    DeviceInformation.png
    104.6 KB · Views: 42
Back