New kid on the block

TLGriff

This started with me looking for an up to date security system to replace may 25 year old (and broken) DSC system. I initially gave the Piper wireless system a try and really liked the concept, flexibility and ease of use. Unfortunately the system was frought with hardware and software issues and after battling it for 3 weeks, I took advantage of their 30 day money back guarantee and sent them back.

For my second attempt, I opted for an Elk M1. I like the fact that it will work with my existing wired sensors as well as being expandable to work with wireless one's. Right now my goal is to get the security system up and running because I don't like relying on just the dogs and the second amendment for my home security.

Anyway, the M1 is on order and I don't expect it'll be much of an issue to install because I am a hands on hardware guy, although it looks like some installer level programming may be required to program the two key pads. Guess I'll figure that out when the time comes.

This looks like a good place to learn about home automation once the security system is up and running.

Tom

Welcome to the Cocoontech forum Tom.

The Elk1 and the Leviton HAI Omni Pro combination panels are discussed a lot here by the users of said panels.

Everybody is friendly and the forum is a gold mine of information.

Take your time; baby steps.

Security wiring to sensors is really almost the same with whatever security panel you use. 

Only thing I have seen are the EOL resistors are of different values if in place when switching from one panel to another. 

Here the HAI OmniPro 2 keypads are simple.

Plug n Play.  It is just a four wire serial connection to the panel. 

You do not really have to program the keypad.   I am guessing it is similar to the ELK keypad.

The ISY994i has an interface module that connects directly to the ELK for a HA extension.

Most report they are really happy with the interfacing ability.

The ISY994i supports ZigBee, Zwave, Insteon and X10, and with it's Network Module can control almost anything that talk Ethernet speak. I use mine for Hue and MiLight coloured lighting. Some use it with Sonos and Echo is supported now.

Thanks for the welcome guys.

The Mi showed up yesterday, but unfortunately we are heading out of town for the weekend so I won't get to play with it until next week. Heading to the Upper Peninsula for some R&R though, so it's not a bad thing. :)

Tom

As usual, life got in the way and it took a lot longer than expected to find time for installation, but the M1 is alive. So far it's just a bare bones security system with 13 wired zones and a motion detector, but I have an ethernet card on order to start expanding. The first order of business will be to get the RP2 software up and running so I can forget everything I learned about Installer level programming. :) After that I need to pull some wire for speakers and get it set up so the system can be monitored by cell phone, then get the fire alarms and the thermostat tied into it, along with some lighting. I think the garage door needs to be automated as well.

Tom

The RP2 software will definitely start to open up the capability of the M1 panel!

... and since I missed it before, Welcome!!!

Back