• You've been granted Beta access to this site, allowing you to explore some of the new features while they're still under construction. More information can be found in the Beta forum.

new pocket pc

electron

Administrator
Staff member
Is anyone looking at buying a new pocket pc soon? my e740 started acting up, so I brought it back to CompUSA and got my money back thanks to the 2 year TAP plan, and have the money to buy a new pocket pc. I am looking at the hx4700 when it comes out, but the only thing I don't like about it is the low amount of memory. Is anyone else looking at this model (or better)?

smee

I've got a Dell Axim X30 and I'm really happy with it. These came out at the end of May. They were about the first with the new processor and WM 2003 SE.

I've got the middle range one: 312MHz, 64M ROM, 64M RAM, 802.11b, bluetooth, Windows Mobile 2003 SE. For about $250. The 624MHz ones runs a bit more.

The only downside is that it uses SD cards instead of CF but I've managed to adjust.

Works fine for normal PDA stuff, mp3s, video, GPS navigation [1], etc. No problems browsing my HomeSeer pages for home control stuff (although some of the pages look funny).

I think that the Dells pretty much blow away the competition based on price. And I prefer the form factor to that of the HPs.

[1] I'm using a Belkin bluetooth GPS receiver. I tried using a serial-port GPS receiver and had problems getting the Axim to connect. Everytime it sees something on the serial port, it wants to sync. Other people have gotten around this but I gave up. The Belkin works great.

electron

Administrator
Staff member
that's definitely a nice price. Compusa gave me a GC , and I have about half of it converted into cash, which makes it harder to go somewhere else. I do however want CF, CFII, it's just something I can't live without since I use it everywhere. The hx4700 also has a flip cover (really important too), 1800mAh battery and some other nice features. The other one I looked at is the Asus A730, which has more memory, slower cpu tho, built in digital cam, and all the other goodies. Pocket PC's are improving, that's for sure.

smee

I still prefer CF. However, the price point of the Dell was enough to convince me that it was ok to accept SD.

Previously, I had standardized on CF. All of my cameras use it and so does my mp3 player. Ignoring smaller sizes, I have a couple 512M cards and a 1G microdrive (these are from the days when a 512 Ritek/Ridata or Transcend cost $200). These have been shared between cameras and mp3 player. I found, however, that more often than not this was an inconvenience. I wasn't always in a position that I could easily reload mp3s that I'd wiped out to take pictures (when traveling). I don't think I'd want to throw the PDA into this group with the others. Whenever possible, I prefer these cards to be dedicated to the camera.

I have an older HP Jornada 125 that used CF. I liked the versatility by sharing cards but had the same inconvenience as described above. With the new Axim, I did need to invest in some SD cards, but knowing that it's always got that 512M card available ($50 after coupon and rebate), to me, outweighs the convenience of being able to share. I don't have to wipe data off of it just to take pictures.

Of course, in an emergency I won't be able to throw it in the camera.

My old Jornada has a flip cover, too. I like that but don't find that I miss it that much. I'm actually carrying the Axim around in a large, bulky padded case - Grinder Gear Basecamp. It's huge, but it protects the PDA better than any flip cover :).

I'm using an aftermarket 2000mAh battery ($53). It sticks out the back of the Axim and makes it heavier, but it lasts forever and isn't a problem with the case I'm using.

How much are the hx4700s going to go for?

electron

Administrator
Staff member
I did forget to mention that the main requirement is being able to fit in my pocket without:

1) losing the ability to have kids
2) getting arrested for lude conduct due to funny shapes in your pants
3) being promoted to super nerd

:)

I bought a hard case for my e740, which was great, the last gen ipaq's were the best, with the integrated shell/cover, and still being able to put it on the cradle. The hx4700 only protects the screen from what I can tell, not the buttons, but it's as good as it gets. I believe the unit goes for around $640, it is money I don't have to spend as I am just swapping out my 2year old e740, but it is still a lot of $$$ for sure, which is why I am willing to look at cheaper alternatives, and maybe get some accessories. I do use my PDA a lot, for both personal and business use, so it is more than a gadget to me.

smee

The Axim does come with a slim case - slides in from the top. I really like that case, but it's too small for the extended battery (ok, you can cram it in) and there's no way to carry extra stuff (memory cards, etc.).

There are one or two after-market flip covers available, as well.

I don't carry this kind of stuff in my pockets. They're too full of pens, pencils, knives (ok, just one knife), keys, etc.

I long ago gave up worrying about super nerd status. Although I usually don't walk around with stuff hanging off my belt, if it's the best approach at the time I go for it. I won't carry my phone in my (pants) pocket, for example - it hangs off the belt (but I was also one of the last people in the world, it seems, to get a cell phone).

Now, if I were really going for super nerd status, I'd dig up the old case for my TI-30 calculator (the original LED one). As far as I know, this blue imitation denim vinyl case was the first modern, high tech indicator of nerd status.

If I want to really go retro-nerd (pre 70s), I have at least one belt-loop-equipped slide rule case.

And, when I want to be photography geek, I carry my gear using a belt-mount system from Kinesis. My belt looks something like this one but I also have a Nalgene water bottle hanging from it. And if I'm feeling paranoid, I also have "suspenders" that help hold it up (only in case of emergency, the belt does a great job of distributing weight on the hips). The Grinder Gear case for the PDA would fit in perfectly with this. By the way, if anyone else is carrying around a lot of camera gear, the Kinesis stuff is really good (although a bit expensive).

Guy Lavoie

I don't have a pda yet but I'm aiming to get one in the next 3 months. My eyes are set on the Ipaq 4350. What has mostly kept me from getting a pda is the (in my mind) ineffecient and less then accurate handwriting recognition. The 4350 has a built in mini-keyboard at the bottom and built-in Wifi, the two criteria that I wanted to meet most. I also wanted pocket windows (as opposed to Palm OS) so that I could write my own apps.

If anyone has anything to say (good or bad) about this or similar models, I'd sure like to hear them. I want to make an informed choice.

Gemini

I'm with Smee... I bought the X30M about two months ago and still lovin' it! Plenty of softwares (FW/SW/ and retail) to do just about anything you can possibly do with a PPC. JMHI...

electron

Administrator
Staff member
That's a nice deal for sure. Do they have 'hard' cases for these Axims? The only thing I wish it had is a VGA screen and support for CFII media, otherwise this is a really nice unit.

smee

A good source for information on Axims is the forums on aximsite.

There's a new forum for the X50 - the rumored VGA and CF (don't know about CFII) PDA from Dell. As far as I know, this is all rumor and conjecture at this point.

There are hard cases from several sources, including Rhino. There are a lot of discussions about these things in the above-referenced forums. It's worth checking out.

You can see a range of available cases at www.aximcases.com. I've never ordered from them. You should be able to find reviews/discussions of most or all of these cases in the aximsite forums and reviews.