New SmartHome IP thermostat

electron

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like SmartHome started selling an IP based thermostat, made by Proliphix. It isn't cheap, but pretty cool:

3053t.jpg
  • Simple temperature scheduling
  • Installs in existing thermostat location
  • Network-compatible for remote management and configuration
With 366-day programming, you'll be able to determine the four temperature periods per day, with vacation and special day schedules available as well. The IP Thermostat is compatible with most HVAC systems, so whether you have a gas or oil furnace or boiler, hydronic heating or central air conditioning, you'll be able to integrate this single-stage heat and A/C support system into your existing heating system.

SmartHome product page

Looks pretty cool. Yes, it is expensive at $320, but it does offer a lot. I see it has a built in webserver, but what software would be required to monitor and control it, or can one build a custom asp page for that?

At ~$350 shipped along with only a 90 day warranty and Web Access via "their" web site only leaves a lot to be desired....

Skimming through the documentation, I don't think they require you to go through them to get to your thermostat. Certainly, since it's available on your local network you should be able to get to it from outside.

However, it's the security of that outside connection that I'd worry about. I didn't look deeply enough to see if the thermostat itself is password protected.

I think their service is primarily to keep tabs on your thermostat and let you know if there are problems. They will email you if it can't be found or if it reports a problem. It may also be creating a secure connection between an outside browser and your thermostat.

The thermostat really looks pretty interesting. It's expensive but it looks like it's pretty capable.

Back