New UPB Switches for HS2

cjrs27

Added four new Simply Automated "US1-40 Single Rocker Dimming Switch - Timer" to UPB Upstart (Version 8.0 Build 56)

Can control the new switches from Upstart

When I start HS2 (HomeSeer), this appears in the log:

10/3/2016 1:59:04 PM - UPB - ** Retry count exceeded, UPB Message transmission failed.
10/3/2016 1:59:04 PM - UPB - UPB Command transmit failure. Setting units related to UPB module ID 249 to unknown/failed state
10/3/2016 1:59:16 PM - UPB - ** Retry count exceeded, UPB Message transmission failed.
10/3/2016 1:59:16 PM - UPB - UPB Command transmit failure. Setting units related to UPB module ID 248 to unknown/failed state
10/3/2016 1:59:20 PM - UPB - ** Retry count exceeded, UPB Message transmission failed.
10/3/2016 1:59:20 PM - UPB - UPB Command transmit failure. Setting units related to UPB module ID 41 to unknown/failed state
10/3/2016 1:59:25 PM - UPB - ** Retry count exceeded, UPB Message transmission failed.
10/3/2016 1:59:25 PM - UPB - UPB Command transmit failure. Setting units related to UPB module ID 206 to unknown/failed state

None of the new switches are listed in HS2.

Ideas or recommendations welcome.  :)

Welcome to Cocoontech Bob.

Historically here did not have any issues with HS2 / UPB switches.

Did you export the Upstart UPE file over to the Homeseer 2 directory?

It goes over here ==> /Homeseer2/Config/current.upe

Hi Pete...

Yes.  HS2 sees the new switches and lists the correct UPB module ID for each one in the log.  But then seems to fail when transmitting to them.

When I look at my switch lists in HS2, none of the new switches are there.

Very much appreciate your response and am willing to try and experiment to chase this to the ground.

Best Regards, Bob

HS2 sees the new switches and lists the correct UPB module ID for each one in the log.

The UPE file provides the base configuration to Homeseer. 

Toggling one switch on or off will confirm that the HS2 connected UPB PIM is talking to the switch.

I am guessing that you have tried that.

What are you using as a UPB PIM?  PCS or SA or HAI?  Serial or USB.  Note that historically the SA USB PIM never worked just right with HS2.

I recall opening a ticket with SA relating to their USB UPB PIM as it didn't work with my Digi USB Anywhere device. (well and Homeseer).

The PCS USB PIM worked fine because it was converting USB to Serial.  

Almost looks like the UPB PIM is not reaching the switches or that HS2 just doesn't talk to the PIM. 

Did you move the UPB PIM from the Upstart location to the Homeseer Location?

Hi Pete...

Am running a serial PIM.  Have a spare as a just-in-case and tried it.  No difference.

Homeseer "sees" my 22 other UPB switches just fine and allows Homeseer full control of them.  Been running for almost 10 years and has been so rock-solid it is downright impressive.  But the brand new switches do not even show up in the HS list, just the log.

It is almost like there is something new in the switches that the Homeseer UPB module is not recognizing.

Maybe it is a firmware thing as the HS2 UPB plugin is old.

A side note....

The legacy HS3 UPB plugin is not supported any more by HS.

The HS3 UPB plugin didn't see a few newer switches for me.  Newer =  2-3 years old.

The HS2 UPB plugin did see the same said switches.

The new 3rd party HS plugin has constantly updated to see all of the new stuff.

I am guessing you did the cold reset (10 presses of the key in rapid succession).

That and today my primary UPB control and scheduling is coming from my Leviton Omni Pro 2 panel.

Such that I talk to the UPB network via multiple PIMs.  Well that and control the lighting on the Omni Pro 2 panel via HS3 (IE: X10, UPB, Zigbee and Z-Wave concurrent to Homeseer except for Zigbee.)

What firmware does Upstart see in the US1-40 switches?

Just looked at one here with upstart and see the following firmware.  

US1-40.jpg

Hi Pete...

So, this got me thinking more and decided to just start over. 

1. I deleted the new switches and all of their links and scenes from Upstart.
  2. Added them back in to Upstart, one at a time and added a "ctrl link" for each newly added switch.
  3. Manually forced the export from Upstart.
  4. Started HS2, deactivated the UPB module and then activated the UPB module.

Now, all of the new switches are listed and under the control of HS2.  I do not know why that worked, but it did.

Thank you so very much for your patience and wise technical guidance in helping me gnaw through this.  :)

Good news Bob!

Yes here always learning this stuff. 

I learned something new from your experience relating to UPB and Homeseer today.

Hi Pete...

Still do not understand why that worked, but delighted it did.  :)

Not wanting to hijack this thread, but how ugly is it to go from HS2 to HS3?  As in, seamless or significant effort?

Well here switched to HS3 Pro and HS3 lite running on Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit.  I am still doing Wintel stuff with the bigger machine doing Wintel server VBs initially for MS SAPI and now for other stuff.

I also utilize a Leviton Omni Pro 2 panel and the new Omni Pro 2 plugin for HS3.

HS3 is different than HS2.

It is a significant effort and a bit of a learning curve being used to HS2.

Mostly here like that I can run HS3 in Linux these days.

Would it be a sane approach to have HS3 on a separate computer as a "sandbox" environment to get through the learning curve and hammer out the kinks and customizations?

Here I still run two HS2 servers (W2003-32bit) and doing baby steps with HS3 servers (Ubuntu 16.04 64bit).

I do have 15-20 (embedded XP, W7E and W10-lite) HSTouch tabletop tablets running in HS3 which is better than I had running in HS2.

I started to push the RPi2-Zee2 device and updated it to an Xi3/Xi5A and a Pine64/2Gb device.

So far liking the Xi5A better.  (RTC - SSD drive - dual AMD - 2Gb RAM).  Clocks faster than the Pine64.

I keep adding stuff bit by bit to the HS3 box.

I am not there yet.

Back