New version of Elkrp2 2.0.24

mikefamig

I noticed that Elk published a new version of Elkrp2 on their web site. It has a few bug fixes, some cloud changes and enhancements to xep secure network connections. The xep upgrade requires that you also upgrade the xep firmware for the enhancements to work.

Has anyone installed this yet and do you have to remove the old version before installing the new? I'm hoping that it will perform an upgrade that saves the current accounts and settings.

Mike.

On Sunday I did firmware updates and installed the newest version of RP. I didn't experience any issues (Win 7 x64).

I updated xep firmware, the xep boot loader hasn't changed. Then I installed the elkrp2 upgrade and it all seems fine. I have connected to the elk and downloaded the log and poked around a little to test it and so far so good.

Mike.

Is the XEP (still?) slow to send emails?  I recall reading that with the newer XEP features and increased SSL security, it was much slower to send email.  Or am I mixing this up?

WayneW said:
Is the XEP (still?) slow to send emails?  I recall reading that with the newer XEP features and increased SSL security, it was much slower to send email.  Or am I mixing this up?

I believe that the delay was claimed to be a matter of 45 seconds or so and I personally didn't concern myself with it. There is no way to reverse the firmware upgrade short of replacing the xep anyways.

Mike.

WayneW said:

FWIW... I just ran a simple test where I send my M1 a line of text which tells it to send an email using port 587. That email is then converted to a text message which I receive on my phone. The average time to receive is 13 seconds.

The new version of Elkrp2 may have been behaving flakey last night. I added two new rules and two new email entries and when I logged into the control there were no conflicts found. Are the rules and emails stored on the control? If yes then there should have been conflicts.

Mike.

treo650 said:
@video, was your test on the new firmware?
Yes, all devices on the latest. I'm not using SSL though - as mentioned above it's port 587 and I'm pretty sure I'm not using TLS either because it's worked with 1.x XEP firmware.

I'm using the M1XEP  with the new firmware and a google apps account with SSL to send MMS texts via email.  It between 10-15 seconds to get an MMS from it.  So I can't really blame the firmware or SSL for any delays.  

Has anyone done a wireshark/fiddler trace to check WHY an SSL connection takes so much longer? Technically, it should not really introduce a great deal of latency.

For inbound connections from ElkRP, there is very little difference between the two XEP TLS sessions. XEP supports TLS 1.0 (note: I am not sure why there are references to SSL). The only difference I can see is the certificate is now signed with SHA instead of MD5. XEP prefers 512 RSA w/AES. There does appear to be TCP layer addition of SelectiveACK. Previously XEP, did not support SACK. It's possible that when Elk upgrade the XEP, they modified or upgraded the TCP stack.

Back