Newbie Elk startup list

gerasha

Let me introduce myself. I dont have any HA stuff or experience, but spend a lot of time reading forum,
and recently discover chat room. This will be my first step to HA/Security. Since my house was recently
remodeled i can not prewire doors/windows. Its 2 story house with no basement. Here is my startup list

ELK-M1GSYS4S Elk M1 Gold Kit: Transformer, M1KP2 Keypad, Battery, Speaker, RJ31X Jack & Cord, 14” x 14” Enclosure
ELK-M1BBK2 Elk Back box for flush mounting M1KP2
ELK-SP12F Elk Speaker- Flush mount, 12W, 32 Ohm

To be able to control/access to Elk using Internet
ELK-M1XEP Elk Ethernet Port from Data Bus Expander/Interface

For wireless sensors/receiver want to get
ELK-M1XRF2G Elk M1 Wireless Receiver and Input Expander
For a wood door
Plunger-G GE compatible concealed wireless door sensor
For sliding doors
GEC-NX-454 GE Wireless- Micro Wireless Door Window Sensor, white

What you think about this startup kit? Any suggestions? I will try to repeat myself, that i dont have
any experience with pre-wires, cabling and etc, but hoping on your professional help.

Are you only using one keypad?

Also - consider the M1DBH - while not required, it does make wiring easier.

The 14" can is a bit small; I used the 28" in my last house - It started getting tight when I really expanded, but I had also laid things out pretty loosely. I don't recall if I needed a special door or if it came with the flush-mount door. I did flush-mount mine and it looked pretty good.

You'll want the UPB module soon since you just put in UPB - you'll probably find it fun to use ElkRMS to turn lights on/off from the computer.

This will be good to get you going - from there you can add as the wife releases more funding (or you save up your lunch money).

You definitely want a bigger can!

Also, what are you planning on doing with the keypad, you mentioned you can't run any wire for doors and windows. Can you run wire for the keypad? I would also include an ELK M1-XSP in this order, so you can control your UPB lights if desired.

Don't forget tools, and cable.

Drywall saw if flush mounting, compression/punchdown tools for the cables (if using the DBH), reliable labels that can be used with a Sharpie (any suggestions?)

22/4? 18/2? Ethernet cable (cat5/cat5e/cat6)? I really don't know what's needed, but someone smart can chime in. You could probably get away with ethernet cable for everything, but not sure about the siren.

Retrofitting the KP/speaker and siren may be a challenge, without a basement. Do some people locate the siren near the enclosure? You don't have a siren in the list - do some people skip the siren?

The RJ31x jack should be located near or in the enclosure, so you'll need a cable capable of carrying telephone signals run to the location of the RJ31x jack, ideally from the telephone demarc or telephone 'block'. Or, you could skip the RJ31x installation, and not have phone seizure. My house didn't have this for 14 years, until I moved in, and it was retrofitted.

After reading suggestion i decide to go with 28" and UPB module.
I was thinking to order UPB module later, but maybe i will get it with this setup.
For Keypad i will try to wire it, cant decide if put in living room or keep it in garage next to elk, if it will be very complicated, then propbably in garage.
About siren, im not sure if i need it now, but if you can suggest one, i really appreciate it.
After research M1DBH help with multiple keypads, but since i order just one do i really need one?

Here is setup im about to submit:

1 x ELK-M1GKS
1 x ELK-M1XEP
1 x ELK SWB28
1 x ELK M1PCSPIM
1 x ELK-M1XRF2G
2 x GEC-NX-454
1 x ELK-SP12F
1 x ELK-902-1
1 x ELK-M1BBK2
2 x Plunger-G

Make sure your enclosure includes a (lockable) cover/door, sometimes the enclosure and door are listed separably.

Check local code for Sirens - in many parts of California, they're not even allowed any more. And in pretty much every city in Cali now, you need an alarm permit if you're going to have it monitored or blaring outside.

The RJ31x jack is for telephone land line seizure - do you have a land-line telephone, will you choose to have the system not monitored, or will the monitoring signal be sent over a cellular network or over the network cable?

I'm not sure if the RJ jack is used for other 'line seizure', with DSL, cable, cellular or whatever.

I use NextAlarm and initially ran it over Vonnage VOIP. NextAlarm technically doesn't support VOIP technically but i tried it. I was getting strange message and alarms triggered, etc. Initially they ofcourse said to buy their network unit and i refused. After i while of trying to sort of the issue i got a landline from ATT and the issues went away. So it's not BS that they have an issue with VOIP. You can buy their network adapter to avoid getting a landline.

Geresha,

Are you getting the RP software as part of this or are you going to purchase it separately? I did not see that as part of your list. I am in the same boat, trying to purchase the whole system just like yours but not sure if it comes with the Software or if that is extra. Can you please comment?

Let me introduce myself. I dont have any HA stuff or experience, but spend a lot of time reading forum,
and recently discover chat room. This will be my first step to HA/Security. Since my house was recently
remodeled i can not prewire doors/windows. Its 2 story house with no basement. Here is my startup list

ELK-M1GSYS4S Elk M1 Gold Kit: Transformer, M1KP2 Keypad, Battery, Speaker, RJ31X Jack & Cord, 14” x 14” Enclosure
ELK-M1BBK2 Elk Back box for flush mounting M1KP2
ELK-SP12F Elk Speaker- Flush mount, 12W, 32 Ohm

To be able to control/access to Elk using Internet
ELK-M1XEP Elk Ethernet Port from Data Bus Expander/Interface

For wireless sensors/receiver want to get
ELK-M1XRF2G Elk M1 Wireless Receiver and Input Expander
For a wood door
Plunger-G GE compatible concealed wireless door sensor
For sliding doors
GEC-NX-454 GE Wireless- Micro Wireless Door Window Sensor, white

What you think about this startup kit? Any suggestions? I will try to repeat myself, that i dont have
any experience with pre-wires, cabling and etc, but hoping on your professional help.

Geresha,

Are you getting the RP software as part of this or are you going to purchase it separately? I did not see that as part of your list. I am in the same boat, trying to purchase the whole system just like yours but not sure if it comes with the Software or if that is extra. Can you please comment?
I just ordered as well and saw the software available for download on Elk's site.....which REALLY ticks me off because you can't DL it or even get a simple manual/diagram of most of their stuff without registering first.....which requires your Elk serial# to do so!!!!!! I was hoping to get a head start on the programing.

Really Elk...really?!?!

ElkRP is the programming tool and is freely available to all customers. Some resellers provide it with purchase, some have you download it.

ElkRM/ElkRMS is a paid user-interface PC/touchscreen software and is optional.

Back