No menu on Elk keypad

Phantom20

First time, new install of Elk M1G. Doing the initial power up – all zones terminated, M1KP keypad connected.

When the master power switch is turned on, I get a solid green ready light and keypad displays “ready to arm” When I press the Elk key, all I get is a tone – no menu, no prompt for a code, etc. The display continues to show “ready to arm”. How do I access the keypad menus? Thanks.

There are user authorization settings in RP that I suspect may have something to do with it but I'm not familiar enough with them to say for sure.

In my system "arm" "disarm" "bypass" and "master" are checked. I think that "master" must be checked to access all user functions of the system.

Mike.

I've also had buttons on the keypad fail in the past. Maybe there is a problem with the "ELK" key. Do you have a second keypad to test?

Mike.

I have a serial cable on order for use with ElkRP. I’ll try that when it arrives.

I have a 2nd keypad – an M1KPNAV that I pre-wired with cat6 cable. I plugged that into an M1DBH and tried booting with and without the M1KP connected directly to the panel. On the KPNAV, I get the Elk start-up screen and the messages “Connected to M1 panel. Please enroll keypad into panel.” Looks like I need an already enrolled keypad where I can access menus or ElkRP to enroll the KPNAV.

Keypad needs to be enrolled in the system after power up. Can't remember if the first one is defaulted on with address 01 or not.

Did you follow the steps for the initial power up sequence called for in the manual and keypad sheets?

I believe I followed the startup steps, but this is my first system and human error is possible. I also believe the M1KP auto-enrolled. The M1KP goes thru the following displays when I switch the panel on:
1) KP Addr -> 1, KP Ver. 2.1.54
2) ELK M1 Control 0000xxxx .XX (serial number of my panel appears here)
3) Ready light goes solid green, “READY TO ARM” with date, time, and temperature.
At this point, pressing the ELK, Exit, or Stay key produces a tone, but the screen does not change. Thanks.

Do you have anything else connected to the data bus besides the one keypad? 

Have you terminated the bus properly?  With just a single keypad, you should have a jumper on JP2 on the keypad and another on JP3 on the M1.

If you have more than just the keypad on the data bus, please tell us what the devices are and how you have things wired.

I have 2 keypads and an M1DBH connected as follows:
One M1KP wired directly to the RS-485 data bus; jumper on JP2 of the M1KP.
One KPNAV connected with CAT6 to J1 of an M1DBH. RJ45 terminating plug in J2 of the M1DBH.
The M1DBH is connected to the main panel data bus J1 with the ribbon cable that came with the M1DBH.
No jumper on JP3 of the M1. Thanks.

Phantom20 said:
I have 2 keypads and an M1DBH connected as follows:
One M1KP wired directly to the RS-485 data bus; jumper on JP2 of the M1KP.
One KPNAV connected with CAT6 to J1 of an M1DBH. RJ45 terminating plug in J2 of the M1DBH.
The M1DBH is connected to the main panel data bus J1 with the ribbon cable that came with the M1DBH.
No jumper on JP3 of the M1. Thanks.

Ok, sounds like your termination is correct.

Going back to your post about the KPNAV, what address do you have it set to?  This should be displayed on the startup screen.

To enroll the KPNAV, you can do it with another already-enrolled keypad, OR you can use RP to enroll the KPNAV.  Have you tried using RP?

The KPNAV displays an address of 01 and the message "Please enroll keypad into panel." I can't change the address or enroll the KPNAV because I can't get to a menu on the M1KP and I'm waiting on serial cable to use RP. 
The KPNAV manual shows a change address button on the startup screen, but I do not have that button.

Phantom20 said:
The KPNAV displays an address of 01 and the message "Please enroll keypad into panel." I can't change the address or enroll the KPNAV because I can't get to a menu on the M1KP and I'm waiting on serial cable to use RP. 
The KPNAV manual shows a change address button on the startup screen, but I do not have that button.

Ok.  You said you tired the KPNAV with and without the M1KP connected.  If the M1KP is enrolled as keypad 01, I think that the KPNAV should then have worked at that same address as long as you don't have both keypads connected at the same time. 

The M1 automatically enrolls the keypad at address 01 at power up.  If you had both the M1KP and KPNAV connected and set to address 01, that would cause problems.  But the KPNAV alone should have been ok.

Have you tried the M1KP without the KPNAV connected? 

Does the KPNAV ever display the Main User Screen, or does it stay stuck on the Startup Screen?

Note that when you disconnect one keypad or the other, you'll need to change the termination of the data bus.

Otherwise, I think you may be stuck until you get the serial cable and can run RP to see more of what is going on with the M1. 

I acquired an RS232 serial cable and was able connect to the panel in RP. The panel does not see the KP. I was able to enroll a KPNAV with address 1 and the KPNAV is working fine. I changed the address of the M1KP to 2 at the keypad, and did an Enroll/Update Control and Devices in RP. RP still shows the KPNAV as the only keypad. No M1KP listed. I think the problem is with the M1KP or the KP’s wiring.

I would remove the keypad, take it over to the panel and connect it to the dbh or the panel with a very short cable.

Mike.

Back