No wonder more people don't do home automation...

royalj7

Tom's Hardware has an article on home automation here. I ussally think it's great anytime our little "hobby" get out to more mainstream outlets, but some things in the article are just flat wrong:

"UPB is a niche market for the wealthier crowd, many of whom don't know how else to spend their money, and that's definitely not me either."

And some are just funny:

"That only leaves Z-wave and Insteon as valid options. If I had to guess, I would say one of these, if not both, will be around for a long time to come." Funny considering Intermatic, one of the largest Z-wave vendors just got out of the biz.

"For my installation, I chose Insteon due to cost, availability, control options, and robustness." (Emphasis mine) I think we all know why this is funny.

Anyways, worth a look. There is even a shout out to Cocoontech!! :p I like Tom's but this article is not up to their standards.

--Jamie

You're right, it would have been a much more interesting article had it been a bit more factual or at least a little better researched..

I started reading the article, but stopped after a couple lines when it said SmartHome seems to be biased towards Insteon... well, duh. If you had done your research, this wouldn't be surprising.

Back