Non-metallic face plate screws?

PigsDad

I am so tired of getting a !#*%@# shock every time I touch the screw on our light switches! Living at 5000 ft. in a dry, cold climate, static shocks are inevitable. Is there such a thing as non-metallic face plate screws? I would buy a gross of them! That would definitely reduce the number of zaps I get in a given day. If anyone know of such a beast, a pointer would be greatly appreciated.

Sometimes, the HAI HLC switches I have "reset" when they get a big zap -- the load turns off, and then returns back to the original setting. So far, none of my switches have been permanently damaged, but it can't be good for them.

And yes, I do have a whole house humidifier. But that only helps so much, and you have to be careful not to add too much humidity, or else you will get excessive condensation on the windows (which then damages the wood trim / frames).

Thanks all!
Kurt

Check your local hardware stores for 6-32 nylon screws about 3/4" long with a recessed head (RadioShack used to carry them).

PigsDad said:
Is there such a thing as non-metallic face plate screws?
Or go with screwless face plates, which also look better, but are more expensive than nylon screws.

I was going to suggest the screwless plates as well. Keep in mind the nylon screws will most likely not color match and may look really bad. The screws are painted the Leviton white while the nylon is just the plastics color.

Thanks for the suggestions and pointers!

I hadn't thought of the screwless faceplates, but will do so now. Does anyone have a pointer to some that they like? All of my switches are the Decora-style, and I would need 1,2, and 3-gang plates.

But remember, the charge that you develop will be discharged at the next nearest ground point.
That's alright -- I'll just come up behind my wife and touch her on the ear. ZAP! She always appreciates that. :eek:

The lutron ones are nice and don't allow for any visibility into wall damage (they go flush against the wall, which some do not). The problem is I have never found them in three gang varieties.

I tried the compli ones but they sit off the wall so if the walls were not done right it can look bad (I went around trying to fix things until I got fed-up, saw the lutron ones and replaced them overnight).

I agree that the Lutron "Claro" screwless wall plates are a better design than the similar product from Leviton.

There are available up to 6-gang but start to get expensive 3-gang and up.

Cheers,
Paul

I agree that the Lutron "Claro" screwless wall plates are a better design than the similar product from Leviton.

Hah! I had a customer who installed 80+ Lutron Maustro (sp?) dimmers, which came with the screwless faceplates. They had me rip out all the lutron plates and replace them with leviton screwless. I guess that means that you jsut can't satisfy everyone. :)

Back