not impressed with search functionality

DeLicious

I like to do a ton of searches here on cocoontech, but I'm limited in my ability to search using common home automation terms (UPB, PIR, HAL, etc.) because the search engine doesn't allow search terms of 3 letters or less. Is there a way to either reduce this to 2 letters or insert an exception list of acronyms that are acceptable search keys?

alternatively, there could be some sort of flag on each post that indicates which type of technology is referred to... or separate the home automation forums into different technologies so that I could just search UPB posts for something in particular... just a couple of thoughts off the top of my head.

I use google for 3 letter acronyms, with the site:cocoontech.com limiter.

I agree Use google! Many BB's limit the searchig to more than 3 letters, so I use Google to search moat of the forums I am on. ESPECIALLY on Vbullitin! Vbullitin, when you do a search, shows the topic thread, and not what message it is in the thread, kinda a pain in the butt for sure!

Give Google a try, and that should definately give you what you are looking for:

"site:www.cocoontech.com upb"

I would also like to note that by default, the search only searches posts from the last 30 days and newer. It would be great if it could be set to search everything by default.

I already made some changes to the search page a while back to include the Google option, but I never made it live. Since people seem to be using this method already, I decided to enable it, but I haven't really tested it, so let me know how it works.

a very preliminary usage test (the searches I was trying to run before) seem to work great. this is much better.

Dang! Thanks guys for this big tip. I have never heard nor seen the ability to use a site in the Google search box. Where does one acquire all of this knowledge?

How could you format a search hyperlink to search the Cocoontech site yet still bring up the google window where you can enter your search criteria?

If you use the integrated Google search now, you should be able to do all of this Rupp, just click the Search button and look at the first input box.

Rupp said:
Dang! Thanks guys for this big tip. I have never heard nor seen the ability to use a site in the Google search box. Where does one acquire all of this knowledge?

Yahoo has the same functionality as well as the other major search engines.

They usually have an "Advanced Search" link that you can click and see most or all of the search criteria.

electron said:
If you use the integrated Google search now, you should be able to do all of this Rupp, just click the Search button and look at the first input box.
Sorry Dan but I guess I'm being thick. I always go to www.google.com and all I see there is one text box.

i think he meant the search button on the cocoontech site... there is now an embedded google search that searches only this site.

Back