NVR added load to network system

pac1234

I have heard that IP cameras have the disadvantage that they can congest your network. 

Some NVRs have ethernet wires that connection directly to the NVR.
So I'm assuming that, if you have a 16 channel NVR, and have all 16 cameras connected directly to the NVR,  there is little load on your network?  The only connection to the network would be from the NVR to a router, for video being accessed on my iPhone or work computer, (would be checking just if an alarm event.) 

How many Wireless camera could I have without running into problems?
(Other items using the home network would be streaming music like Pandora, and for watching Netflix / Fios TV)
Have FiOS Internet Speeds Up to 75 Mbps/35 Mbps

Looking at Costco Packages: Any Strong recommendations on 16 CH NVRs:     AvertX, Q-See, Swann
Would want one with good iPhone app since will use this the most, (also web app for Patrick Casey remote access)

http://www.costco.com/hd-ip-nvr-security-systems.html

Thanks!!!, Patrick 

Yes and no.

Multiple wireless IP cameras will congest a single wireless pipe.  It also depends on whether the wireless camera is HD or SD and how many of these are sharing wireless.  Consider whatever wireless devices you are using as a single pipe shared by all of the devices.

Here there are no multimedia streaming devices except for a couple of test devices using G or N or now new AC.  Mostly using Gb these days (XBMC boxes, touchscreens, Squeezeplayers et al).   I have one MythTV with 6 tuners box online for real time TV and recorded media streaming.  It is working fine today doing multiple live TV channel streaming to XBMC boxes.  Concurrently have a wintel online TV box also streaming services (well like AOD and Netflix).

The direct to NVR IP connections will alleviate traffic on the network.

The CPU and OS and amount of storage on the NVR helps. 

Here I am playing with a hybrid combo DIY analog and IP NVR and a pure HD IP camera NVR and Vendor provided software NVR.

While my Linux based NVR is in "record" mode 24/7; it'll only save defined and triggered events 24/7 and this varies depending on the pixel size of the recordings. 

The bottlenecks relate to your transport from the point of leaving your home (FIOS) to the internet to your IPhone or work computer. 

What you will really see on your IPhone or work computer.  You can test this without a purchase of an NVR by creating a source at your home of various pixel sizes and streaming to your IPhone or work computer.

Here is an online bandwidth calculator:

http://www.supercircuits.com/resources/tools/network-ip-security-camera-system-bandwidth-calculator

The NVR upload stream is only going to be limited by your ISP tier. The video is going to be running a compression codec so the bandwidth is going to be a lot less than running 8-16 cameras with full multicast streams up to the WWW to be viewed or dragged into a NVR remotely.

The product(s) you are mentioning are NVR's per se, but not really. There's a lot of embedded one-off's on the market now as the industry is split between traditional analog and installation practices and pure IP/NVR with separate power or POE to the cameras. The NVR's with their embedded POE and network connections are to provide a "missing link" sort of product to get TCP/IP products into an application they might not normally be put into....or to get the infrastructure in place for the next-gen products and connections.

Bandwidth use on any network using IP cameras is always going to be a concern, but you're limitations are always going to be the network hardware that they are connected to and how it gets back to where it needs to be. Enough bandwidth on switches, QOS and Vlan's can help, but if you're looking at bare minimum hardware to begin with (consumer level) then you've got a lot of homework and considerations for the network to begin with before looking at cameras in the consumer price category....if you go cheap on the network, even the cheap hardware is going to choke.

The NVR upload stream is only going to be limited by your ISP tier. The video is going to be running a compression codec so the bandwidth is going to be a lot less than running 8-16 cameras with full multicast streams up to the WWW to be viewed or dragged into a NVR remotely.

A simple test would be to stream live TV out of your home to phone or office or purchase a cheapo USB webcam and stream one SD or HD live video out using one of the freebee webcam applications out there.  You will most likely not really see a 35 Mbps uplink from your home to your office or phone.  Something in SD say 640X368 at 30 FPS would be something you could utilize for benchmarking....(try black and white first; then color).

You can start simple looking at the bandwidth of said stream on your network using some free tools.  Then take it to the WAN doing similiar.

Personally I have not seen a true hybrid analog / IP NVRs reasonably priced yet at any big box stores.

Hi thanks for the info and the calc!
Really helps in understanding the limitations, using different variables 

Camera Stream -  H.264
Vid Quality - Med
Frame Rate - 30
# of cam - 16

Bandwidth  100.29Mbps

Is it an option with the iPhone apps /NVRs to stream just one or a couple of the cameras streams at a time, therefore decreasing the bandwidth streamed?

Adding to thread above - for example if I just streamed 4 cameras at a time 

Camera Stream -  H.264
Vid Quality - Med
Frame Rate - 30
# of cam - 4

Bandwidth  25 Mbps

Are these systems flexible enough to remotely choose which camera to stream?
For example from my iPhone choose only to see who is at front door (and bandwidth streamed only from that camera)

Is it an option with the iPhone apps /NVRs to stream just one or a couple of the cameras streams at a time, therefore decreasing the bandwidth streamed?

Today with the "el cheapo" IP cameras out there you can typically get an iPhone application for free that is included with the IP camera.

Purchase a an H.264 streaming "el cheap" IP camera for less than $100 that comes with an Iphone application and test it and see if that is what works for you.

Did a quickie IP camera search on Amazon.  They are even cheaper than I thought....

Cheap IP Cameras

Here's an Iphone application that you can play with that is not free but reasonably priced:

iCam

Are these systems flexible enough to remotely choose which camera to stream?
For example from my iPhone choose only to see who is at front door (and bandwidth streamed only from that camera)

Here is where you do your homework relating to what it is you are looking for. 

Personally not sure whether a big box package store deal is going to provide you with what you are looking for.

Folks here on CT have done exactly as you are looking to do. 

Have a quick read here on CT and ask a lot of questions. 

You also need to know the size of the image that is going to be streamed to determine it's bandwidth load on the network.

The frame rate is really on the high side in that calc. Realtime equates to 15-20 FPS on the practical spectrum.

You're worrying too much.  Even with affordable home network gear nowadays on decent switches, the traffic between the cameras and the NVR will not affect the rest of your network.  Streams to the outside world are only relevant when in play - ie when accessed.  The difference would be if you were pushing your video out or having it constantly monitored by some service, but in the case described the only bandwidth use is when you're actively viewing the content remotely.

Back