signal15

I bought one of these awhile back. Here's the link for it:

http://www.openeye.n...a-models/cm-710

After playing with it for a few months, here are my thoughts on it:

Pros:
- 720p (30fps) or 1080p (15fps)
- h.264 over RTSP streaming
- Outdoor
- Power over ethernet (may be a con if you need wireless)
- small and inconspicuous (may also be a drawback if you want it for a deterrent)

Cons:
- Web interface requires ActiveX to view live video or to change the motion detection zones (Can view MJPEG over port 8000 on non-windows platforms or use VLC to view RTSP stream)
- Web interface looks like a 5th grader made it
- Does not appear to have multicast RTSP support
- Device has telnet and ftp ports open, but OpenEye will not give out the password for it. Why have it open at all? Password has is easily obtainable if you tear apart the firmware. If someone was to crack it, they would have root access to any cameras exposed to the internet with port 21 or 23. Cannot change the root password or disable telnet/ftp. Definitely an issue in enterprise environments that are subject to certain regulatory compliance stuff.
- All CGI scripts on the device are written as shell scripts and poorly coded. I found several injectable vulnerabilities that allowed me to execute commands as root on the device, without first being authenticated
- SD Card keeps becoming unavailable and needs to be formatted with the SDFormatter software from the SD Commission or whatever it's called. I've tried 3-4 different cards, same issue. When the card goes away, it cannot record at all. Which means it also never uploads video to a configured FTP server
- It uses an 8mm board lens. These lenses are junk. No matter how well it is focused, it's still not perfectly clear. Don't plan on getting video with readable license plates unless they are 10 feet or less from the camera. They should be using larger higher quality lenses to take advantage of the HD sensor. But, the clear dome on it is too small to retrofit as far as I can tell.
- No audio on the CM-710, even though there is an audio header on the board

Another thing to note is that the software is not actually made by OpenEye. They may make modifications to it, but ultimately it's made by the same company that makes the software for Axis cameras. Disassembling the software shows that this software was originally for a $1400 Axis camera (I forget the model).

I'm trying to decide if I'm going to buy any more of these. For the price, it's a good deal for an outdoor camera. But the interface is terrible, it has huge gaping security holes, and that little board lens is crap. I'm undecided at this point. If something better comes along, even for a few bucks more, I'll jump on that instead.

If you get one of these, do NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES expose it to the internet. And if you're running it in a corporate environment, ensure that it is protected from the rest of a network by a firewall with rules that only allow access from hosts that require access.

With the exception of the lens, the hardware is actually pretty sweet. But the software is pretty much garbage.

Back