Pass Through Couplers

kwschumm

For a new build I need to run network and surveillance cables up a low voltage wiring shaft into the attic and then out to the destination.

Of course the wiring shaft needs to be sealed at the top for fire code.

I was thinking that sealing the shaft with plywood and installing pass through couplers through the plywood would be a great way to do this. Never did like rework-ability of spray foam. This is my house so the incremental higher cost won't be an issue.

I'm a little concerned about losing some signal integrity through the use of them though.

Anyone ever done this before?

My electrical conduit going to the attic used expando foam and when I ran network cabling from the basement to the attic in the two story and used expando foam too.  All the CCTV under the second floor eaves came from the attic.  I built a chase from the basement to the attic.

I did once have an issue with the 120VAC smokes on the second floor due to moisture dripping down from the attic to the metal cans used for the smokes. 

Duct Seal is another brand of conduit putty, to block the spread of fire (and bugs), in conduit.

I've used the jacks you're talking about at times - but never for that application.  In theory you lose a little signal but with just one in the mix, you'd be fine.  However, they are another connection point - they can get dirty over the years and deteriorate the connection quality, especially in a dirty unconditioned space.  Plus, if you have a bad insertion, how far will that wire fall back into the wall?

Personally I'd run everything now in a single conduit and seal it up as suggested above - but also leave 2-3 extra tubes coming up that are just capped and not plugged with fire putty - so if you choose to use them in the future, you can run the next bundle up, then seal them as well (lets be honest; homeowners never worry about code once the inspector leaves; they'd just use it as an open conduit for the future).

Back