PCS and ELK

nov0798

I just got this email.

Powerline Control Systems, Inc. and ELK Products Inc. Create Strategic Alliance
This partnership will develop, manufacture and market an ELKM1 Bus specific UPB Powerline Interface.
Northridge, CA (July 27, 2010) - PCS (Powerline Control Systems, Inc.), the inventor of UPB® technology, and ELK Products, Inc announced a strategic business alliance that will combine PCS' UPB technology and the ELK M1 Control Data Bus protocol into one interface device. This partnership would provide users of the ELKM1 and EZ8 control panels the ability to effortlessly control PulseWorx devices into system installations directly without the need of adding a Serial Port Expander and field wiring. The ELKM1PIM and PIM-E will be fully interoperable with other UPB enabled devices.
PIM-E / ELKM1PCSPIM

ELK and PCS currently share many customers in the Home Automation and Security industry. The new association between the two companies will offer system integrators of ELK and PCS more design flexibility and provide users more capability and ease of use at a lower cost.

"ELK is exactly the kind of company we're looking to work with," adds Scott Klodowski, Director of Sales and Marketing, Powerline Control Systems. "Alliances like these make both companies stronger and we can both benefit from that strength and pass it on to our customers."

The new partnership will allow many PulseWorx products to connect directly on the ELK network and provide a seamless control interface, as well as allowing virtually unlimited system feature expansion over the electrical wiring.
"We have partnered on many projects with PCS and I believe this alliance is a perfect extension of that relationship" said Todd Hudson Director of Sales and Marketing, ELK Products, Inc.
This interface device will be available in early August through both PCS and ELK Products. The PulseWorx product line is sold through a network of distributors, certified integrators and authorized dealers. For more information, visit http://www.pulseworx.com/Order_PCS_.htm, email [email protected] or call 888.701.9831. ELK Products are sold through trade, retail and international distributors. For a complete listing, visit www.elkproducts.com/distlist.htm or call (800) 797-9355.
About PCS (Powerline Control Systems, Inc.): Powerline Control Systems has been developing, manufacturing top-of-the-line lighting, and electrical control devices for the residential and commercial markets since 1992. PCS provides a complete range of products under the PulseWorx® brand, such as touchscreens, keypads, home controllers, dimmers, switches and a variety of other electrical control devices; powered by the UPB® (Universal Powerline Bus) patented technology, the innovation of the PCS design team. UPB is answering the call for a lower cost, high reliability lighting control system to provide an alternative to expensive proprietary and hardwired systems.
PulseWorx devices use the existing powerlines in the home, making them perfect for existing home retrofit and remodel situations, as well as new construction. PCS has licensed its technology to other companies and received numerous awards from both industry organizations and the media, including Product of the Year, CEPro magazine's Top 50 Editor's Pick and MRA's Best No-New-Wires Technology.

UPB and PulseWorx are registered trademarks of Powerline Control Systems, Inc., Northridge, California. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

About ELK: ELK is a leading designer and provider of personalized home and business security, energy conservation management and convenience solutions. ELK has a long history of creating simple, yet innovative products that have now become industry standards. Our customer service is world class and we stand behind the products we sell with industry leading technical support and warranty.

I also received this email. Any idea what this means? Is this any better than connecting UPB lighting with a serial PIM?

Using a serial UPB PIM requires the use of an ELK-XSP module to bridge between RS-232 and the internal ELK communications bus. This new device connects directly to the internal ELK communications bus.

Fewer parts, simpler install and a possibly cheaper solution.

Using a serial UPB PIM requires the use of an ELK-XSP module to bridge between RS-232 and the internal ELK communications bus. This new device connects directly to the internal ELK communications bus.

Fewer parts, simpler install and a possibly cheaper solution.

Does it maintain the status of the lighting within the ELK now?

The PIM is not configured in UpStart. I think the better question is "Is this device flash upgradeable" as it contains the smarts to communicate with the Elk (replacing the firmware in the XSP) and surely there will be tweaks and fixes needed.

I didnt think a PIM could ever be configured. The devices would be configured in upstart as normal I am guessing and this is just replacing the serial PIM and the ELK-M1XSP.

I wish PCS would post more information about it tracking status of the devices. I am starting to suspect it will not be any help with that but I hope I am wrong.

This new controller would need to have several benefits over PIM/M1XSP besides being, “lower cost.†I am perplexed why there is not a 100% accurate scene, zone, and solo lighting system that seamlessly integrates into ElkM1G. In addition, I hope they also build a device that does not require two separate lighting databases – one for ElkRP/M1G-Flash and second one for lighting master controller (UpStart). It’s a pain to keep everything synchronized.

Also, I hope PCS extensively field tests the device. It’s frustrating to pay 20x price of normal light switch, and find out the lighting technology is not reliable; the ‘integrated’ solution cannot operate at full capacity/functionality because of controller “limitations.â€

I am pretty happy with Z-Wave Vizia+ at the moment, but it’s not 100% reliable. Just last week, my car porch light did not come on. The Elk Remote Keypad showed a status of “on.†Granted this only happens once every 2-3 months.

Field/firmware updates would be extremely positive. The VRC0P cannot be field updated as near as I can tell. Thus, when the Leviton adds support for Z-Wave Lock class, VRC0P owners will have to purchase new hardware if they want to keep their Elk-only installation.

FYI... I am building a new house and I'm at the point of deciding between the M1G and the OmniProII. I'll be using UPB lighting so the link status issue is a concern for me. Since we are well into mid-August I sent Elk a question about the new PCS interface. Here is their response:

<--- Start Response --->
Good afternoon Doug,

Thank you for considering the ELK-M1 Gold to meet your security and home automation needs. The New Interface from PCS is basically the ELK-M1XSP and the PSC PIM into one unit and should be available through distribution soon. At this time the lighting Device Status is not broadcast when a Link or Scene is activated. Please contact me if you have any questions.

Thank you,
Brad Weeks
Technical Support

<--- End Response --->

So it looks like the linked device status issue continues. Now I have to decide if I'm willing to use software to work around the issue or just go with the OmniProII.

Signed,

Bummed Consumer (aka - Doug)

At this time the lighting Device Status is not broadcast when a Link or Scene is activated.

Sounds to me like they are saying that the switches are not broadcasting the status - which is untrue.

What they should be saying is: At this time we are not able to track the lighting device status when a switch, Link or Scene is activated.

At this time the lighting Device Status is not broadcast when a Link or Scene is activated.

Sounds to me like they are saying that the switches are not broadcasting the status - which is untrue.

What they should be saying is: At this time we are not able to track the lighting device status when a switch, Link or Scene is activated.

Agreed. I also received a response from someone in sales (Amy). She essentially said that all they really did was combine two devices into one...but did not add any new functionality. In other words, it's just to simplify installation but not to address any deficiencies.

I sent a follow-up email asking for Elk's official position on how to work-around the UPB status update issue. Let's see that they say...

BTW: At this point I may still go with the Elk. Since I already plan to run a PC 24/7 I'll just write a Windows service that will update the device status on the M1G.

BTW: At this point I may still go with the Elk. Since I already plan to run a PC 24/7 I'll just write a Windows service that will update the device status on the M1G.
I don't mean to pry, but given that you are going to use UPB, what is it about the Elk that would have you buying it over the OPII? I switched HA systems this year (not Elk) because I wanted 100% tracking of my UPB without having to write and maintain custom code for all of my devices and links. I think the OPII has some shortcomings in the area of serial port interfacing and variable handling, but I've been extremely happy with the UPB side of things.

I don't mean to pry, but given that you are going to use UPB, what is it about the Elk that would have you buying it over the OPII? I switched HA systems this year (not Elk) because I wanted 100% tracking of my UPB without having to write and maintain custom code for all of my devices and links. I think the OPII has some shortcomings in the area of serial port interfacing and variable handling, but I've been extremely happy with the UPB side of things.

Well, I feel that using the HAI/OmniPro would work great if I were using the HAI UPB switches. I'm not sure how well it integrates with non-HAI switchs. The HAI keypad switches have seriously fail the Wife-Factor....i.e.- they luck ugly!

The wife is OK with the PCS kaypads, although she prefers the SA keypads. I admin that I don't know how well the OmniProII works with non-HAI UPB switches. Do you have any experience here?

Well, I feel that using the HAI/OmniPro would work great if I were using the HAI UPB switches. I'm not sure how well it integrates with non-HAI switchs. The HAI keypad switches have seriously fail the Wife-Factor....i.e.- they luck ugly!

The wife is OK with the PCS kaypads, although she prefers the SA keypads. I admin that I don't know how well the OmniProII works with non-HAI UPB switches. Do you have any experience here?

I have 55 non-HAI UPB devices installed. I do all my setup in Upstart and I have 100% status tracking.
Check out the links in this post for information on configuring HAI HLC mode on UPB devices.
http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/index.php...mp;#entry139457

I have no axe to grind with Elk, I was just curious why you would lean towards Elk when UPB was one of your criteria and it is well supported with HAI.

Back