PCS Launches PulseWorx Generation II Lighting Controls

WayneW

10.15.2007 — Northridge, CA (October 15, 2007)—PCS (Powerline Control Systems, Inc.), the inventor and leading developer of the ultra-reliable two-way UPB technology, announced today the launch of its second generation of PulseWorx lighting controls. Termed PulseWorx Generation II, this set of improvements to the already reliable PulseWorx product line is so significant that PCS now offers it with a Money-Back Guarantee.

Recent improvements to the UPB powerline technology ensure that PulseWorx Generation II products communicate reliably over the existing wiring even in noisy and attenuated power environments. The addition of a Split-Phase Repeater to the product line guarantees that Generation II products function reliably even in the most hostile situations.

“The last thing an integrator wants is to install a powerline based system in a residence and then have to go back several times to get it to work reliably.” said Marshall Lester, CEO for PCS. “We feel so confident with the innovations in our Generation II products and in the UPB technology that we now offer a money back guarantee.”

Also offered in PulseWorx Generation II is a set of new features that address customer requests. Auto-Off allows the load to automatically shut off after a preset period of time. LED Presets allow keypad buttons to better track the state of the lights with their LEDs. The response time between tapping a rocker and affecting a light has been significantly decreased. The ability to activate a flashing “alarm” scene has been added. Additionally, the look of the PulseWorx product line has been modernized with cool blue LEDs.

PulseWorx is a highly flexible and scalable control system designed for use in any home. It runs on PCS’ ultra-reliable patented UPB (Universal Powerline Bus) technology. UPB is answering the call for a lower cost control system that provides an alternative to expensive proprietary and hardwired control systems, which makes them perfect for existing home retrofit and remodel situations, as well as new construction. It streamlines the dealer installation process and makes it less time consuming and more cost-efficient to complete.

“Gen II meets what I think is the most demanding product principle in our industry – it just works; the pricing is very fair, but most importantly the reliability is where it needs to be. We have seen our profit margins increase with fewer hours on the job, definitely a product you can count on.” Said Gerry Lynch, President, System 7, Topsfield, MA.

The PulseWorx product line is sold through a network of dealers and distributors. It is comprised of dimmer switches, keypads, plug-in modules, home controllers, and interface devices, all backed with an industry leading Money-Back Guarantee.

For more information, visit http://www.PulseWorx.com or call 888.701.9831.

http://www.cepro.com/article/powerline_con...ighting_con/K22

I wonder if there were changes to the protocol itself. I would imagine that many of the changes are implemented in their firmware. SAI has also enhanced their firmware with shorter delays, timer feature, etc. So for me I guess it boils down to the noise and reliability thing. I know I heard at last Ehx that PCS believed with Gen II there would be no need for filters, etc. So the real thing is how reliable is it really and is it general protocol changes that SAI and HAI will be able to implement or is it proprietary firmware in their switches that do the magic.

If it is truly as bulletproof as they say and things like my cooktop, dimmable CFL's and other noise like has been experience by some here no longer is an issue, then that would elevate UPB close to hardwired, but imho no matter how close you get, its not the same.

my first question would be about the split-phase repeater... does it only work with Gen-II products, or would it repeat any UPB signal? and was that their solution for overcoming line noise? what happens when there is noise on both lines? or what happens when switches on a single phase can't communicate with each other due to line noise; what has been done to overcome that?

my first question would be about the split-phase repeater... does it only work with Gen-II products, or would it repeat any UPB signal?
My understanding as of a couple of days ago is that the repeater only works with Gen II devices and is not backwards compatible.

I think if Gen II had been available when I replaced all my switches 2 years ago that I probably would gone with UPB. Sounds like most all of the problems (except price) have been resolved; plus blue LEDs finally!

It would be nice to know if existing UPB controllers would be able to communicate with the Gen II devices.
Gen I and Gen II will work fine together and are fully compatible with each other.

Gen II though has a few additional features. For instance, you can set the threshold for noise tolerance, has quicker tap, blue LEDs, timed shutoff on regular switches, blind link capable, top rocker max out, tap transmit only ability, better tracking on keypad LEDs, chirping capability (Jan maybe - not sure if it made it in the first pass), keypad lockout capability just to name a few.

The PCS Gen II stuff is on order and should be in stock about the end of the week and on our site by Wednesday.

Pricing initially will be the same but will increase slightly on some items November 15th.

I can't wait for user reviews to start pouring in, especially from someone such as DeLicious that had severe noise issues and probably abandoned it.

i'd love to try it out, but budget concerns and compatability concerns with first gen SAI modules might preclude that until the new year...

yes, rfdesq... it was directed at you... you always have so much helpful info.

it's frustrating that such a generic press release was given that generates more questions than it answers.

yes, rfdesq... it was directed at you... you always have so much helpful info.

it's frustrating that such a generic press release was given that generates more questions than it answers.
Thanks as always, I try to give accurate information but sometimes even I shoot myself in the foot. I knew Gen II was being released but didn't know about the press release. The PCS gang is gearing up for EHX in Long Beach. The money back guarantee really sweetens the deal. I think Gen II will take UPB to the logical next step and only improve on its quality. Go to http://www.pulseworx.com/upstart_form.html and they will allow you to download their latest version of Upstart. You will see some of the new Gen II capabilities.

so, I'm guessing that a Gen-II system also requires a Gen-II PIM to program correctly. i hope there will be firmware updates for the Elk and for HomeSeer UPB plug-in to use a Gen-II PIM, since they control my lighting

Back