Plex DVR vlog

IVB

FYI, recorded a short vlog of the new Plex DVR beta on my channel and did a turbo-short comparison of the guide with SageTV. 

I love Plex's ability to transcode content to any device (roku, tablets, phones), multi-user support (watched/unwatched status per family member), and ability to watch movies on the road while also tracking that watched status. I currently dump SageTV and PlayOn recordings into a folder that Plex manages. 

To me thats the minimum bar any solution needs to meet in order to be viable. I don't personally use ComSkip, never have, as it often cut out parts of shows. The FF/REW was good enough for me. I also have a Tivo for the wife, we use that for sports timeshifting. I threw in the towel on her using SageTV a year ago when it was too much of a hassle for her to setup new recordings on her own and she couldn't watch on her iPad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqkTySJRX6c

Yeah, kinda excited by this. I am currently using SageTV w/ 2 HDHomeRun Prime's and tested the Beta DVR with Plex last week. It was just as easy to install as you showed. I have been prepping My video library for a move to Plex anyhow so this was a great jump for them. Waiting for their Live TV option now......

I'm just guessing here, but i'd think they'd prioritize DVR on clients over live streaming. Using a roku & plex to live stream doesn't seem like it'll work, unless they rewrite how plex works ground up. Or at least for this entire section. It doesn't handle growing files well.

Currently SageTV is using 6 HD300 units which we have had very good luck with. That said, I don't want to use PlayOn so Netflix, Starz, HBOGo, and Amazon Prime movies are all running on 1 FireTV and 5 FireTV Sticks. Plex is working ok using the FireTV stuff though I have to lower the 1080p bitrate for the wireless FireTV Sticks to keep up. So right now the Plex/Amazon FireTV solution is where I am headed. I saw some people are even removing commercials already in Plex using the old MCBuddy solution.

The ability to use a single device (roku) to watch both locally stored and streaming was the key factor. We heavily use Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, and GPlay to a lesser degree. The wife/kids got bugged having to switch, even though we have a universal remote. I still have 2HD200, 2HD300, and 3HD100, although I'm going to give them to batwater assuming they still boot up. (been in the basement for 4 years)

Back