Power Distribution in Security Panel

SteveInNorCal

I'm installing an Elk M1 Gold into an Open House H336 enclosure (14" x 36"). I need to power:
  1. Elk M1 main board (DC wall wart)
  2. Elk M1XEP ethernet board (DC wall wart)
  3. Elk M1TWA amplified two-way listen in interface (DC wall wart)
  4. PCS/PulseWorx PIM-E UPB interface module (plug into 110 VAC)
  5. XTB-523 X10 interface module (plug into 110 VAC)
  6. Future?
I bought three solutions:
  1. Leviton Power Module with surge protection that mounts in the bottom of the can; the junction box sits outside the can and the outlet and faceplate are flush on the bottom of the can.
  2. A Channel VIsion C-0702 AC power strip, but the outlets are too close together to be useful (PIMs and wall warts are too wide, so I can use only 2 of the 5 outlets). This seems useless.
  3. An Open House H291 "AC Outlet Accessory" that mounts in the lower left or right of the can and provides four regular AC outlets. I'm not sure if I can fit the PIMs and wall warts there. Also, I would use up all four outlets if I go this route.
How do you manage your power distribution in a can? Do you use power strips? Plug Mold strips? 6 inch or 12 inch extension cords off a power strip? A 1:4 splitter extension cord? I think that plugging two of these into the Leviton Power Module outlet might be the cleanest approach.

It seems like any of these approaches are going to use up the bottom 1/4 or 1/3 of the space in the can and generally create a mess.

Help!! Advice needed.

Steve

I don't have a ton going on in my panel and it's a horrible mess at the moment - but for the wall warts, I typically use those little 12" extension cords with a power strip or the 2 or 4 outlet splitters.

When I finally clean it all up, what I put in is a 50" channel vision can above the 20" that came with the house - I adapted the old OnQ 20" to take a hinged door instead of the screw-on cover... That's where all my power strip ugliness is going to go so I can keep the big channel vision can looking nice since it has the big smoked plexiglass door just to be showy.

I also plan to change the electrical wiring a bit so that instead of direct wiring the outlet in the can, I'll put it nearby in the closet at ground level right next to one of those reversed plugs used for routing power behind a flat panel - so I can put a UPS right there to run everything inside the can... And I should be able to use a 12" extension cord as a "jumper" when I sell the house :). I can't wait to finish all that up and make it look good again and post some pictures!

Back