Prewire for Somfy Sonesse 50 Shade Motors

Relleum

Hi,

I am at the prewire stage for my home automation, and we are trying to figure out the best possible way to wire for all the shade motors. I will be using a HAI OmniPro II conroller to communicate with Somfy Sonnese motors over RS485. This can be achieved with an ILT Tap, and is nicely illustrated here:

http://www.mavromatic.com/2010/06/somfy-ilt-control-via-hai-omnipro-ii-wiring-diagram/

Another good reference is the spec sheet pdf, which shows more detail, along with the bigger picture:

http://www.automatedshadestore.com/shop/avactis-images/u/Sonesse%2050%20ILT%20Spec%20Sheet.pdf

These documents are pretty sufficient for properly connecting and powering the shades, but as many of you probably know, there are many other hurdles to overcome when taking a whole project into consideration. Right now, we are stuck on the following items:

• Where do we put the high voltage junction box? In order to pass the first electrical inspection (while the drywall is still down), all high voltage wires must be properly terminated, and within a j box. For window shades, a bunch of ugly j boxes on the walls everywhere would look horrible, and my opinion detract from the ability to control the shades with automation. We have discussed putting it on the outside wall, and then covering with a valence, but that seems like such a hack. The other option is to locate the box on the inside of the frame, staggered a few inches away from the actual motor mount location. But this has drawbacks too. Can this even be done, or will it interfere with the frame of the window? If it can be done, then where is the best place to put the box? If you put it just below where the motor mounts, the will the wire interfere with shade operation? Is it preferable to place it on the top sill, above the shade motor? Will it then require the shade to be mounted lower?
  • With the low voltage, it would be ideal to have the ILT Taps at the home run, and then run the CAT5 all the way to the shade location. Are there distance limitations when wiring it this way? Having to put the ILT Tap near the windows would result in more clutter, and an uglier setup.

We really need to wire this stuff in a way that passes inspection, but at the same time doesn't ruin the aesthetics of the house. Any suggestions?

Another question that cropped up in today's meeting, is whether the high voltage can be connected *inside* of the shade motor. The links above show two versions; one with a standard wall plug, and one with a wire that could be spliced inside of a junction box with high voltage wire coming from the box. What is not shown is possibly some way to directly connect, so that we can avoid having to put a junction box at all (thus having a cleaner look). If the only option is to splice with the wire that comes out of the motor, then we are forced to do that splicing in a j-box.

I hope this made sense, as I am not anywhere close to proficient with this stuff.

Thanks.

Either AMP or Ideal, can't remember who, makes in-wall rated taps for 120V. They were originally designed for modular homes, but they're out there. The biggest issue is getting the AHJ to sign off on them.

You could also see if Somfy will be able to provide a longer flying lead for you to pull into an appropriate JB in proximity, such as a outlet or basement/crawl to make the junction.

Back