Programming IR Codes

gacevich

I am currently trying to integrate the new hauppauge hdpvr with my HTPC. it works except for one very vexing issue: i can't get the scientific atlants 4250hdc digital stb to respond to ir blasts. below is from a post i have out at snapstream seeking advice from the forum there. does anybody here have experience with ir codes for a stb being "unlearnable"? getting over this last issue will greatly enhance my ability to watch college basketball in hd. thanks.

"the scientific atlanta 4250HDC is not listed in the hauppauge hdpvr ir blaster list of stb codes. so i thought, no worries, i'll just use the learn function and program the ir blaster. its a bit tricky, but got the blaster programmed (or so i thought). it said "LearnKey(77) succeeded." for the on/off button. did similar for all the buttons. however, the 4250hdc will not respond to any of the commands from the ir blaster. then i thought that maybe its a problem with the hauppage ir blaster. so i "learned" the on/off button into my universal remote mx-800. the 4250hdc did not respond to the mx-800 either. so now i'm stumped...i can't get the 4250hdc to respond to any ir commands except from the synergy v remote that came with the stb. i am a bit concerned that i may be running up against a timewarner cable "security issue" because the synergy v remote worked with both the 4250hdc and the prior samsung box...seems to me that twc has done some programming to its boxes so they all work with the same remote. i spoke to twc tech support and since the 4250hdc is so new, they don't have the ir codes for the box and told me there is no way to get the 4250hdc to respond to another ir signal. this seems odd to me. anybody run up against this issue before or have any suggestions to get the hdpvr blaster to work with the 4250hdc?"

i had some issues learning my IR codes for my uverse stb (it's a motorola, though). After several go arounds with the guys at global cache, they said that particular stb used 6 IR pulses, and most learning requires 8 IR pulses, so the learning software is probably only seeing what it thinks is noise.

You guys should consider a USBUIRT, the Hauppauge IR is very weak (1 per system). If you have a USBUIRT you can capture everything but the 56k Dishnet stuff and he makes a special version of it that can do that too.

Now you might be able to capture from a buddies USBUIRT and then convert the code and inject it into your *.ir file manually too.

You guys should consider a USBUIRT, the Hauppauge IR is very weak (1 per system). If you have a USBUIRT you can capture everything but the 56k Dishnet stuff and he makes a special version of it that can do that too.

Now you might be able to capture from a buddies USBUIRT and then convert the code and inject it into your *.ir file manually too.
thanks, collin. i hadn't thought of doing that. just figured that the ir flasher from the hdpvr would be easiest. did some more searching and it appears that SA 4200 series boxes are very sensitive to ir overload. found this link to an adjustable IR bug that can dial back the intensity of the ir signal. before i spend the money i'll see if i can get my usbuirt to with the stb.

Back